Glacier National Park


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
February 20th 2008
Published: February 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The best shot despite cloudsThe best shot despite cloudsThe best shot despite clouds

Right to left: Fitz Roy (2 peaks,) Poincenot (2 peaks,) St. Exupery (far left.)
After finishing our frantically windy hike from Glacier Torre, we set out for 3 nights 4 days of camping around in Glacier National Park. The pack was a much lighter load on my back because we did not have to carry water in, all water in the Park is drinkable, (a very sweet feature.) After an hour´s incline the rest of the hiking for this trip we rated as easy. Kind of a nice break, but we found ourselves making destinations in half the reccommeded time and found maybe a bit too much down time, (the opposite of Nahuel Huapi trails.)

The first stop was at Camp Poincenot. We were able to set the tent drink delicious, cold, glacier water mixed with tang and then decided we needed more hiking for this day. We set off toward Piedras Blancas Glacier (White Rocks Glacier.) An Irishman in Barlioche had reccommended this hike for the opportunity it allowed him. The luck of the Irish let him witness huge chunks of glacier falling into the lake. When we got there in the afternoon, we waited and waited, but nothing fell. The next day, Tasha and Morgan, who were minutes behind us in our
Hiking down from Lago de Los TresHiking down from Lago de Los TresHiking down from Lago de Los Tres

Fitz Roy in background, clouds clearing significantly
hike went to Piedras Blancas and saw a chunk 'the size of a bus fall.' Bugger!

Actually, the next day was a torrential downpour and I found it very easy to just stay in the tent and catch up on sleep. We spent our time formulating lists of what type of gear we need for the next backpacking trip and how to pack better. It includes rainwear.

Anyway, we finished our stay in this gorgeous and entertaining park by a few more hikes. We went up to Lago de los Tres, where the best view of Fitz Roy was waiting. After the rain a slew of eager photographers were passing us on the trail, tri-pod slung over the shoulder, trying to catch a shot of the clearing clouds. With our luck, the clouds did not clear until we were back down at the bottom. Dain stayed much more patiently than me, he took my camera and waited for the clouds to clear because this was the shot he wanted to get for Francis. Such luck!

The next camp spot was Lake Capri, a turquoise, green-blue lake with Fitz Roy standing over. Here we laid in the sand and caught some sun tanning while looking up to a huge glacier.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb