CIAO PATAGONIA:Not as easy as you think


Advertisement
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
May 19th 2014
Published: May 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

CIAO PATAGONIA:Not as easy as you think. I remember the Englishmen who dived into the water of Milford Sound in New Zealand...next to a glacier...followed by our two children. They just kept jumping in...freezing as...probably getting off on the applause from admiring adults on our sloop moored just there. They were young then...I was horrified...not encouraging...but quite impressed nonetheles... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

SPEGNAZZI GLACIERSPEGNAZZI GLACIER
SPEGNAZZI GLACIER

104 metre high glacier face
OF EASTER ISLANDOF EASTER ISLAND
OF EASTER ISLAND

Statue in Santiago
MANY MEMORIES MANY IMAGESMANY MEMORIES MANY IMAGES
MANY MEMORIES MANY IMAGES

I've eaten of the calafete berries...Legend says I will return. Until then...Ciao Patagonia...I salute you.



19th May 2014

Ah traveling memories
The airlines generally find a way to tick you off at the end of a lovely wonderful and exciting trip. Nearly 100% of the time they find a way to put a clink in the flow. I did a Polar swim when I was in Antarctica. Beautiful beautiful beautiful.
19th May 2014

Ah traveling memories
A polar swim...in Antartica...now that's an achievement!!! Icy waters have all sorts of allures. There were the old Chinese men swimming in a section of Lake Kunming of the Summer Palace in Beijing in winter that was the only section not frozen over...posing with Denise for photos...my kids swimming next to the glacier face in NZ...and MJ swimming with the penguins in Antartica...hope Dave had the courage to join you.
19th May 2014

Oh Damn Right ive got the blues - that I wasnt there!!!
Dave, I LOVE your blogs, I can only say how much more you guys continue to inspire me to find new destinations and new ways...Denise is becoming my Shero..she can drive anywhere!. Buddy Guy even!
19th May 2014

Oh Damn Right ive got the blues - that I wasnt there!!!
Hi Cindy. Patagonia is often referred to as the last true wilderness. Concerning that its glaciers are retreating the fastest on the planet. But I reckon there is still time to see it in its magnificence...if not Tara's and my blogs of this extraordinary region have plenty of photos to live it by. And then there was the music. Always take my compilation CDs I made of our favourite rock & blues tracks when we travel. No better memories than just Denise & I driving down the Andes bopping along to our favourite music...no better memories.
20th May 2014

Patagonia does seem to be the end of the world...
such desolate beauty. Thanks for capturing it all for us. It's been a great journey.
20th May 2014

Patagonia does seem to be the end of the world...
If that is the end Bob...couldn't think of a nicer place. None of my Patagonia photos are enhanced. The nuances of colours I have seen nowhere else. It is truly breathtaking. You have recently seen the palate of colours of Bolivia, Peru and Mexico. Time you planned a sojourn further south...true wilderness awaits you.
20th May 2014

Rescued from the pervoes!
A noble thing to do, you picking up those girls and, sharing the blues. I’d like to hope you’d stop for me. I’d also like to hope I spotted Denise driving before deciding to take you up on the offer.
20th May 2014

I’d like to hope you’d stop for me
Seeing the Nomad by the side of the road...middle of nowhere thumbing a lift. Would I stop? Mmmm...yeh...reckon I would. But if Denise was driving? Mmmm...reckon she could...not sure if she would. But in your case Jason...I'd make her go back and get you...couldn't leave you for the pervoes could we?
20th May 2014
FLOATING IN THE LAND OF GIANTS

Perfect Patagonia!
Pretty dramatic ending to a perfect holiday--glad you two made it home! So great you got to sail up to the Upsala Glacier; when I was there in 2011, so much ice had calved that it was and is no longer possible to sail up that channel. And in my long history of hitchhiking, I'm always told that it's a good thing that they are picking me up, so I'm not picked up by some perv. Some sweet sentiments are universal.
20th May 2014
FLOATING IN THE LAND OF GIANTS

Perfect Patagonia!
I visited Upsala in on a perfect summer day. The approach was open but the icebergs were plentiful. I'd like to think that's how it should be. I couldn't imagine it if there were so many icebergs you couldn't even get close. You went on a wretched day as I recall and maybe a different season. It sounds as if you witnessed climate change in its savage reality if the plentiful icebergs you saw were evidence the glacier was retreating. Must have been amazing to observe the changes in the seasons during your sojourn of years in perfect Patagonia. From my single visit I can only imagine.
21st May 2014

appropriate finish to a devine holiday
Thank you Aerolineas for stuffing up my return flight so that I could enjoy 3 days of 5 star accommodation, museum visiting, manicures, pedicures & facials whilst you covered the tab...appropriate finish to a devine holiday - life is good
21st May 2014

appropriate finish to a divine holiday
Thank you umpires...thank you ball boys...thank you one and all. And thanks to Denise who helped me have a ball
21st May 2014

YES YES YES
Patagonia is so huge that you should travel it in different trips. That´s what I did but I live here, in Argentina, so in a way it´s easy. But it´s not. I understand what you mean. The glaciers are amazing. The food (lamb) is the best in the world.
21st May 2014

YES YES YES
Olla Graciela. So ends nine blogs on our Patagonian adventure. I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did presenting them. You have an amazing backyard...every reason to be proud...every reason to want it to stay that way. Caio until next time.
21st May 2014
LAGO ARGENTINO

Beautiful photo
I love this photo, gorgeous colours, and I love the sense of space. Sounds like a great trip, the shopping stories brought back some memories - Prune - I loved it! Terrible experience with the airline for Denise.....but certainly memorable!
22nd May 2014
LAGO ARGENTINO

Beautiful photo...Beautiful colours
Thanks Rachael...you intrepid traveller you. Patagonia has something for everyone...everyone that is who loves wilderness...beauty...adventure...and Prune handbags. And if you can't handle a few hitches with transport...easy...don't come!
22nd May 2014
UPSALA GLACIER

Incredible colours!
The colours of the glacier are simply unreal! Great shots! And despite the temperatures, Patagonia definitely made its way to the top of my to do list! Beautiful place... and what an incredible trip! The flights back home maybe a bit less so...
22nd May 2014
UPSALA GLACIER

Incredible colours!
Thanks for commenting Anna. Incredible colours and diversity so unique make Patagonia a destination not to be missed. Lush green on the Chilean side...arid volcanic steppe on the Argentinian...divided by the Andes...turquoise lakes...dessert toppings of the Southern ice sheet and glaciers...certainly caught my attention!
14th June 2014

Wow!
I can't believe I've missed this gem. As always a wonderful read accompanied by wonderful photos. I've come to expect no less from my favorite dancer! I'm glad you kept your cool in the line to the plane, lots of people get to worked up and bad things happen, kudos good sir, kudos!
15th June 2014

Wow!
As usual an uplifting comment Per-Olof...thank you. At 2 in the morning it's a bit hard to get too annoyed when you get jerked around, especially when the woman behind us in the queue missed out for the second time. Doesn't get you anywhere when you lose your cool when overseas...usually makes it worse...better to grin and bear it and hope something better comes up.

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 19; qc: 39; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb