Patagonia Part III: Perito Moreno @ Parque Nacional Los Glacieres (ARG)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
February 27th 2011
Published: February 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

You know it makes sense!You know it makes sense!You know it makes sense!

We get ready to get up close with the Glacier
It was quite incredible to see a glacier for the first time. To add to the allure, Perito Moreno is one of the only glaciers in the world that is actually increasing in size - it grows approximately 1.5 meters per day! This growth is neutralized however as the glacier calves and breaks off into the lagoon to which it expands. Sarah and I were lucky to see this process in action as huge chunks broke off with a thunderous crash during our day trip. We did an alternative mini-hike and boat tour to the glacier in Parque Nacional Los Glaciers which was a great day. On the way to see the glacier we also spotted Condors, Lamas, Patagonia hares and many sheep on the Estancias and as we approached the glacier we could see icebergs floating in the lagoon.

Perito Moreno is an impressive glacier in more than one way. Despite the fact that it actually grows when most glaciers are melting away; its size is also incredible – it’s bigger than Buenos Aires; five kilometers at the snout and 30k in length! While trekking from the shore we could see dots along the glacier wall on the lagoon which we later found out were boats. That is serious scale. The glacier is part of the Patagonian ice fields – the third largest reserve of fresh water in the world.

Thanks for enjoying with us.

Did the glacier experience warm Sarah to the idea of giving Patagonia trek-camping another go? Or would Bref have to try his survival skills out solo? Check out our next blog!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



7th March 2011

amazing
I just love having this blog site available to view and review and review the spectacular places you've been. Again, as always, I stand in awe of your capabilites and courage to go out of the ordinary and live your lives to the full. Safe travels, all our love...

Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb