A day in Calafate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
February 12th 2011
Published: February 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

What does one day in Calafate hold? Well, dinosaurs, flamigoes, delicious coffee and a car rally - with Herbie in it!! And a sprite too, just for you Harriet and Terry - and yes I took photos as it is not like yours!
But, dinosaurs first - down near the coastline there is a tin shed calling itself a museum which has a wonderful display of the dinosaurs found in this area and the change in this part of the earth over the last 60 millions of years - it was really good! Then onto a small reserve for flamingoes which was lovely. The planting would be good for your pond Dave - and I took photos for you too! The flamingoes were superb, lots of them and very pink. I also saw several birds of prey which was exciting - nothing like a little murder and mayhem in the bird world, but they were on their best behaviour so no such fun!
Dawdling through a souvenir area, I found the candidate for the worst taste souvenir to date - will post it when I am home, it is really bad! I heard lots of revving engines and assumed it was motorbikes, but no, thre were many beautiful cars circling the town before going off to do a rally in both Chile and Argentina. Herbie was wonderful, but there was also a 2CV which meant divided loyalties, a sprite and several other cars I recognised. All great fun ad forced me into a coffee shop to blog about it... the cake I cannot blame on the day LOL!
Tomorrow is a visit to another glacier then El Chaten. At that stage we will be out of wifi range so no ore posts for a while!

Advertisement



12th February 2011

Did the earth move for you today / yesterday, I heard there was an earthquake !!!!!!
12th February 2011

need more info - lol!
Sitting here, at a very large table, with a lovely glass of wine ... we are here with your son and daughter in law ... we're all wondering why the cake was lol, why have you still not been kidnapped ... and why we have run out of wine, when you're not here drinking it for us? (Ru tells us we haven't actually run out, and I'm exagerating but we've run out of the cooking wine ... lol!) Glad you're having fun, hope you have made copious notes about what wine we should be drinking. Samples required next month!
14th February 2011

wine
Look I'm only the cheese monster!!!
14th February 2011

quake
Not a shake - just like in NZ!!

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb