We were sooo lucky!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
February 19th 2011
Published: February 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The weather reports from El Chalten have been dire but the luck of the gods was with us, hot sunny weather and Mount Fitzroy was beautiful! Sorry Linz the wifi is awful and keeps cutting out so I can´t download the photos but will do it when possible - honestly!!

The mountain looks so clean - lovely pink tinges to the rock and against a beautiful blue sky it certainly is impressive. I walked up to the river at the base of it then went on to the glacier at the base, they seem to be attracting me rather a lot this trip! Talking to people on the walk we all agreed tht it is a mesmerizing mountain, some are impressive but we were all taking lots of ´last´ photos of this mountain at every possible viewpoint. Sebastian from Santiago had walked up at 2 in the morning and by 4pm was still in its thrall. The light was fantastic at that hour and his pictures were wonderful. I met up with the South African couple and discovered that we have a good in common, this is happening so much on this trip!

We caught a bus up to Bariloche - two days of travelling and a fairly seedy hotel overnight, but the second day was enlivened by a Swiss green politician sitting by me. We had wonderful long discussions about all things green - both practical and political! He is going on to walk around the volcanoes, we are trying to get a ticket for the train across to the east coast, but I have been trying for some time so doubt if there will be any joy on that front. There are some beautiful areas around here though, so a few walks and then another long bus ride.

This country is enormous, I probably keep saying it, but the experience is tremendous. This is however a short blog as someone is waiting to use the computer! Only one week left, so Harriet it is time to buy some cheese......

Advertisement



20th February 2011

2cv
Liz, We almost certainly saw your Calafate 2cv, struggling along a dirt road from The Torres del Paine towards Calafate. It was driving along on the wrong side of the road, just off the main highway, it eventually managed to climb the loose banking and get on to the main carriageway on the correct side of the road where it eventually became a blip on the horizon as our bus headed towards Calafate considerably faster than the 2cv. We don't imagine there are many such cars in Patagonia, so another coincidence for you. Fitzroy sounds wonderful, though we found peaks like the one you describe in the Torres, highly photogenic and just fascinating. Glaciers are go! Pat and Adrian
20th February 2011

Cheese?
I'll find the mousetrap that's in the corner of the fridge ... :-)) See you then.
20th February 2011

cheese
I want quality cheese - my cravings could be dangerous!!
20th February 2011

2CV ecoms 3CV!
I had a wonderful converstion with an Argentinian yesterday - in Spanglish of course, they (The cars) are made in Argentina and are now 3CVs, with moderations to the boot door and a cow chaser thing on the front - now that is stylish! I wonder if they can be imported to the UK? How many cows do you reckon would get in the way of a 3CV i the UK? LOL! I suppose the engine is more powerful too....
23rd February 2011

Cheese?
Well, the cheese is bought, it's in the fridge, and if you're lucky we won't have eaten it all! See you Wednesday.
24th February 2011

cheese
As far as cheese is concerned I am down to begging - although I found a shop with local cheeses today - which was shut..... tears came to my eyes!

Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb