Journey to the end of the world DAY 5


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
April 2nd 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Eagle chasing 10 secs
A long, long day of driving - more than nine hours in total. We pulled over for some lunch at the crossroad of Ruta 3 and Ruta 9, the former paved, the other gravel and dust. Both roads would take us to El Calafate, but Ruta 9 was a short cut that would get us there much quicker. Whilst we were huddled round our camping stove on the road side, an Argentine couple pulled up to ask our advice. They were also heading to El Calafate, and were torn between the bumpy and stony (but quicker) path of Ruta 9, or going the long way round on Ruta 3. In the end, they opted for Ruta 3, but we decided to brave the stones. Driving down Ruta 9 was hard work, but it more than paid off when we were able to stop a few metres away from where a huge eagle was perched by the side of the road. We knew from having seen one stuffed in a museum that it was a black-chested buzzard eagle. The eagle wasn´t in the least bothered by us being there or getting out of the car, or even by the noise of the engine. I don´t think I´ll ever forget standing there in that moment, just the three of us, in the middle of nowhere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb