el calafate and the perito moreno glacier


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
March 11th 2009
Published: March 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


hola,
So after another 4 hours on a bus we are back in el calafate. Calafate is another tourist mountain (trap) town. Plenty of backpackers wandering around, but also the richer tourists are plentiful here. We didnt see a lot to the town itself. its One main road with all the typical tourist shops selling shirts and such. food everywhere, but all serving pizza and pasta, it very weird!! Our destination is the glacier. After 2 hours on the bus we arrive at the perito moreno glacier. WOW, its frickin spectacular. They have catwalks setup so you can walk to a seemingly close distance from the glacier edge and watch it in action. This glacier is growing at 2meters a day, and calving non stop! all we did was sit back and watch the show, chunks of ice as big as cars breaking and falling into the water, huge crackling sounds, monster splashes as the ice hits the water, just incredible. You dont want to look away cause your afraid you will miss the "big one" a ginormous ice chunk breaking off. It does happen, and fairly often, so people just sit and watch this living thing all day. We did see plenty of chunks fall, some big some small, but luckily C saw a really big piece start to tumble off in the distance, and we were able to see it crash into the water. I have to say this is a very impressive sight to see, even after 5 years in antarctica this rivals anything i saw their.
So after a night in calafate it is now time to catch a flight to buenos aires, and start phase 2 of our trip, the part i have been soooo looking forward to. Our mini motorcycle adventure!! The bike i bought is waiting for me in BA, its in storage at a bike shop. Once there i need to have a little tune up and tire change done to the bike, and then we will pack up some stuff and hit the road for a little bit depending on how comfortable it is for 2 of us on the bike.
cant wait !!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb