Perito Moreno Glacier


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
January 4th 2008
Published: January 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Perito Moreno GlacierThe Perito Moreno GlacierThe Perito Moreno Glacier

The face of this glacier is 60 metres high.
Argentinian Patagonia is amazingly beautiful. We´ve just spent the last few days in the town of El Calafate and visited the famous Perito Moreno Glacier. We went from dry, desolate steppe to rainforest near the glacier. We were able to get on a boat and go nice and close to the wall of the glacier which is about 60m high. The glacier itself is enormous - 30km long, 250 sq km area and is sourced from the world´s third largest reserve of fresh water, the South Patagonian Icefield. It is one of the few glaciers in the world that is not retreating glacier since it advances 2 metres a day and retreats the same amount. And while we were in the park we got to watch it retreat! It was amazing to watch several huge chunks of ice ´calve´or fall of the glacier and cause waves below.

We haven´t worked out what time the sun exactly sets here... although we´re sure that its not before 12am in the morning! Its a weird feeling to go to bed in your tent a couple hours before sun goes down.

We spent the last few evenings camping which has been a special
Lago ArgentinoLago ArgentinoLago Argentino

Argentina´s largest lake
treat for our friend Sara who hasn´t camped since her first year anniversary about 8 years ago (which made her vow never to go camping again)! Thanks for sticking it out Sara, you´re a great camper!

We´re in Chile now, about to head into Torres Del Paine National Park for some hiking. Its an understatement to say that its windy here! Hopefully we don´t get blown off the mountains in our tent.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Calving of the iceCalving of the ice
Calving of the ice

A huge piece of ice fell off the glacier and put on a show for us


7th January 2008

I'm glad you're having fun!! We miss you guys...I tagged you, check out my blog.
9th January 2008

One of my favorite places in the world
Hey J and J! I love that part of the world, and it makes me jealous to hear about your adventures. Enjoy your last week! We'll see you soon!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb