Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
December 31st 2007
Published: December 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Recoleta CemeteryRecoleta CemeteryRecoleta Cemetery

This famous cemetery includes the graves of some of the most important and influential people in Argentina including Eva Peron (Evita).
After nearly a week in Buenos Aires we´ve decided we could potentially live here... we like it! Although we might have to leave every January since its so stinkin´ hot! Today its supposed to reach 36 degrees which being the temperature of the inside of our bodies seems a little unbearable for us kiwis from the mild climate of NZ. But the Self family who have generously provided us their home to stay in also have a pool! So we will survive and are eternally grateful.

But back to the city... its a city that is nothing like any of the cities we have seen in South America so far. For starters, we blend in. Well not really, we just don't stick out as much as we do anywhere else in the continent. There is definitely a European influence in the culture, buildings and in the people... and we've heard it been called the Paris of South America. We have wandered the streets of Recoleta, San Telmo, the city centre and La Boca and have enjoyed the cafes, the restaurants, the shops, the architecture and the subway. The subway is impressive and I'm grateful that its saved me a lot of walking. In many parts of town there are cafes on every corner which make good coffee, something we have really missed in Bolivia (although I still crave a flat-white).

While we were in the ritzy neighbourhood of Recoleta, we visited the cemetery which has become a major tourist attraction. Its the site where many influential and important Argentinians have been buried since the late 1800s, including presidents, politicians, military people and writers. The only person we were familiar with was Eva Peron (famously known as Evita) whose grave was very popular with tourists. Walking through the cemetery is like walking through a little city with main streets and little off-shoots... we got lost even though we had a map. The people are buried in their family mausoleums which are ornately designed and some with statutes, fancy doors and classy interiors.

We livened up our Buenos Aires experience with a visit to La Boca, a neighourbood which is the home to the Boca Juniors (the club football team that Maradona played for). It also has a few streets that have many colourful houses, cafes and tango on the street. It was fun to sit down and watch the
La Casa Rosada. The Pink PalaceLa Casa Rosada. The Pink PalaceLa Casa Rosada. The Pink Palace

The presidential palace where important military people (including Evita) have addressed the crowds.
tango-ers and listen to the live music.

And to top it off we had to have an all-you-can-eat steak experience at a very popular and highly recommended restaurant Siga La Vaca (Follow the Cow!). Oh how we love Argentinian steak!

Happy New Years to all! We're sad that we cannot be celebrating with you all. Prospero año!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

A view from aboveA view from above
A view from above

James scaled one of the houses and got a view from the top


Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb