El Calafate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
December 25th 2007
Published: January 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Glaciar Perito MorenoGlaciar Perito MorenoGlaciar Perito Moreno

Hi Ho Hi Ho Up the Glaciar we all go.
Okay, so it's Dec. 23rd and we are up real early to catch a tour bus that will take us on another boat trip. This time to the Glacier Upsala and to the Estancia Christina Ranch. The first thing that hits you is the beautiful water colour. They refer to it here as glacier milk. The colour is a soft milky green.

As we headed out on the Lago (Lake) Argentino we passed by beautiful mountain scenery. The water was dotted with small blue icebergs as we made our way to the Upsale Glacier. This glacier is the largest and longest glacier in South America and was named after the Swedish city of Upsala. It has retreated significantly over the past decade. To give you an idea of its size, it is 5-7km wide and 60 km long.

After taking in this wonderful creation we carried on to a ranch which is owned by the National Park. The ranch was named after a British family who settled there in the early 40's. The ranch is now part of the National Park and all their items were left in its place. There was a large log dining room where we
The Incredible RaceThe Incredible RaceThe Incredible Race

We thought that there was a prize under the gnome!
were served up a fantastic four course meal of Patagonia Lamb and lots of red wine. We toured around the original buildings and area. When we headed back to port, everyone went to sleep. That Argentinean wine will do it to you every time!

The following day, we went on another boat trip. This time to the 3rd largest glacier and the most popular, called Perito Moreno. We were able to witness pieces fall off the edge with a thunderous crash into the deep green water. Very exciting. Even better was our hike up the glacier. We took a five minute course on how to walk with our spike shoes (crampons) on the glacier. It was quite the work out and worth ever penny. The deep crevices were a brilliant blue and we were able to drink as much of the crystal clear water we wanted. The sun was bright on this day, so you didn't need heavy clothes. There was a strange mix of warm pockets as we followed our guides. We encountered step passage ways along the way and a glacier cave which engulfed a small pond. The colour inside was amazing.

We had a nice
On the Phone againOn the Phone againOn the Phone again

PooKee I miss you!!
surprise at the end of our hike. As we came down a hill, there was a table set up with empty glasses and a big bottle of scotch. The guide chipped away ice from the glacier to added to our glasses and of course don't forget the famous chocolate from Patagonia.

The day isn't over yet as it's Christmas Eve. We had a reservation at a restaurant called La Tablita. It had great ratings on the web and we certainly weren't let down. One of the best meals yet. The sun was still up when we left at 10:00 pm. Later that evening fireworks exploded after midnight to welcome in Christmas.

Christmas Day was a quiet day around the hotels infinity pool which overlooked a beautiful golf course. Not to hard to take. We are off on another flight today to Ushuaia, the bottom of the world.





Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Perito Moreno GlaciarPerito Moreno Glaciar
Perito Moreno Glaciar

What a Phenomenon
Icebergs in PatagoniaIcebergs in Patagonia
Icebergs in Patagonia

On the way to the Glacier. Getting there is only the beginning.
The Glaciar UpsalaThe Glaciar Upsala
The Glaciar Upsala

Ice fields in the lakes
Blue IceBlue Ice
Blue Ice

The Ice was as blue as the sky.
Dippy DoodleDippy Doodle
Dippy Doodle

I tink my hand is frozen to the railing.
Our travel Photographer.Our travel Photographer.
Our travel Photographer.

She might be back one day on assignment.
Posing next to the Ice FieldPosing next to the Ice Field
Posing next to the Ice Field

Come on lets cuddle.
A stop in the parkA stop in the park
A stop in the park

We stopped off at the National Park near the glaciar upsala to take a short tour of the area and for lunch.
What a feast.What a feast.
What a feast.

We were served up a lunch like never before. Lamb ribs.
DesertDesert
Desert

We just had to have desert.
The AndesThe Andes
The Andes

A view from the resturant on the Glaciar Upsala
Bridges in the park.Bridges in the park.
Bridges in the park.

You can see the colour of the glaciar water that they call glaciar milk.
Coyote'sCoyote's
Coyote's

A little visitor after lunch.
Glaciar Upsala National ParkGlaciar Upsala National Park
Glaciar Upsala National Park

Walking back to the boat after lunch.
Getting ready to push off.Getting ready to push off.
Getting ready to push off.

After lunch we were ready for the two hour ride back to the docks.
 Perito Moreno Glaciar Perito Moreno Glaciar
Perito Moreno Glaciar

We were waiting for the ice to start falling off. As you can see the large section on the end was ready to go.
The Perito Moreno GlaciarThe Perito Moreno Glaciar
The Perito Moreno Glaciar

The views were breathtaking.
Perito Moreno GlaciarPerito Moreno Glaciar
Perito Moreno Glaciar

Aproaching the glaciar.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb