And now for Polar Bear country (brrrr...)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
April 14th 2007
Published: April 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

What a great lunch....What a great lunch....What a great lunch....

Rob caught in the act munching the gourmet strawberry biscuits
Landed in Calafate and within an hour we had booked into our hotel and booked two Galcier tours, one that afternoon as we only had 2 days here.

At the bus station waiting for the Glacier tour bus we were starving, no beakfast remember. The "restuarant" at the bus station consisted of six locals drinking at the bar and all they had to sell were stale crackers and biscuits, we opted for the strawberry marshmellow biscuits that were probably 2 years old. Well they filled the gap anyway, see pic of Rob munching his gourmet lunch.

There was a long drive to the harbour where we boarded a small boat to The Perito Moreno Glacier which stands around 60m out of the water and spans 15km in length, considering that only 15% of the mass of the glacier protrudes out of the water, it is an almighty beast. It is one of the natural wonders of the world, descends into an arm of Lago Argentino and is an awe-inspiring spectacle as chuncks continually fall into the lake with an almighty roar. See the pics of Wendy´s handy work capturing one of these moments, act 1, 2 and 3.
The Perito Moreno GlacierThe Perito Moreno GlacierThe Perito Moreno Glacier

An awe-inspiring mass of ice!


We also did a full day boat excursion to see the Upsala galciers and we had a fantastic lunch overlooking the old ice bergs.

We departed Calafate by bus and was informed that our pickup to the station would be at 8h00, as we had no Spanish input into this arrangement we were confident that we would be fine. Well we woke up with more than enough time to spare, however(yes there always is an however), we got a call from reception at 7h40 to say that our transfer had arrived. We were told that we had to be at the bus station at 8h00,aaaagh!!!!!! Anyway our bags were almost packed so we grabbed a few crousants and ran out of the door, again not a full breakfast and a hasty exit. Could it be third time lucky?

Across the border and Chile here we come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Moreno Glacier - Act 1Moreno Glacier - Act 1
Moreno Glacier - Act 1

A big chunk of ice breaking off the glacier....
Moreno Glacier - Act 2Moreno Glacier - Act 2
Moreno Glacier - Act 2

The big splash!
Moreno Glacier - Act 3Moreno Glacier - Act 3
Moreno Glacier - Act 3

And the final aftermath, a big wave.
2 Polar Bears at Moreno Glacier2 Polar Bears at Moreno Glacier
2 Polar Bears at Moreno Glacier

The Polar Bears at the Moreno Glacier
The Ice Man!The Ice Man!
The Ice Man!

Upsala Glacier Trip - Rob at the Bahia Onelli, our stop for lunch.
The Ice Queen!!!!The Ice Queen!!!!
The Ice Queen!!!!

Wendy at Bahia Onelli, our lunch stop.
Ice BergIce Berg
Ice Berg

An Ice berg near the Upsala Glacier


25th April 2007

Hi guys. Those pieces of ice look a little too large far a spice gold and coke!! Sri Lanka in the finals. Our game tonight. Hold thumbs and enjoy the Polar Bear Club. Looks chilly.
25th April 2007

Freak'n Freezing!
Great pictures guys! keep them coming. What a beginning!
26th April 2007

You lucky things. I am so jealous. Hope you are having an absolute ball!
27th April 2007

Hi Guys, the pics are awsome!!! I am very jealous... ;-)) enjoy your trip and keep me posted.. lots of love from Germany, Anita
27th April 2007

Great to hear from you guys.Rob you can afford to miss a breakfast or two! Got our first snow of the winter last night so its pretty chilly here too but I think you win! Have a great time and looking forward to your next episode. Cheers
30th April 2007

Hello
Wow. Amazing pictures. Say hello to Mumbles Aka happy feet for us.
3rd May 2007

Wow
Brilliant ! Absolutely Brilliant !

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb