indigenous


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
May 18th 2006
Published: June 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a long 11 hour bus journey, i arrived to Salta. stayed in a hostel called ¨terra occulta youth hostel¨...yeah don´t understad the name either!

I had heard so much about Salta, but after partyin so hard the previous few weeks, i just couldn´t fathom getting out and trekking or doing anythng remotely physically challenging. The train to the clouds ( had been shut down, so our best views were from atop Cerro San Bernardo...no more walking!! we took the telefrico up! stunning views over the surrounding mountain-side as the sun was setting!

Salta is one of the most southern cities in argentina, close to Bolivia, so i finally started seeng the mix of cultures. The people were smaller, stockier and definitely less attractive!!

The hostel was great...but me and my mate alex were put in a a twin bunk bed room that must have previously been a kitchen!! extremely cold at night.

and of course, given that it was last stop in argentina, we partied on our last night! headed out to a bar called Barney´s! yes...from the simpsons! it was colourful, bright and had photos of Barney everywhere..like no other bar! and the music cheesy
SaltaSaltaSalta

street beside Iglesia San Francisco
but kept everyone dancing. Then headed out to ¨Club VIP¨- electronica and remixes...very cool...full of young people...danced till 5am and met a few locals...i have realised that i am not a shy guy- i go up to anyone and start chattin- commo estas? soy australiano...when they know you are a foreigner, they automatically like talking to you...as though i am something exotic!! ooh la la!!

On the 18th, grabbed a group of 5 others and headed to the border town called ¨La Quiaca¨...so we can cross the border early the next morning! to cross to its Bolivian twin town of Villason. get this- you can cross the border during the night, but there is no-one to stamp your passport!! dodgy. That night, we started feeling the effects of altitude as we had gone to about 3800metres high...more short of breath- talking would make you puffed!
We cross the bolivian border without a hitch...they don´t even check our bags!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

the mario shot!the mario shot!
the mario shot!

clockwise: mario, Dan, ?, Catherine, Alex


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 29; qc: 143; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb