Salta, que linda!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
July 4th 2010
Published: July 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Upon arriving in Salta, Argentina, I was definitely ready to return to Buenos Aires and return home. However, it took only a day for me to fall in love with the city. The people there were as relaxed and laid back as the people I found in my travels to Uruguay. Perhaps them being one of the farthest cities from Buenos Aires helps. Unlike the people in Buenos Aires or Rosario, the people from Salta took everything lightely and were never rushed with anyone, especially those who spoke little or no Spanish.

Our first day there was full of fun as we simply walked the city. Though none of us had any sleep the night before as we were on a bus and worried that we might miss our connection, we still found the energy to get to know the majority of the downtown district around the Plaza de nueve de Julio. Not only did we see some of the oddest cathedrals and churches, a dark red colored church that rivaled the grandness of the bright pink cathedral, but we also trekked over to the crest of one of the hills that had a gondola that would take us to the top of the hill for what we expected would be a great view of the city. Though we only priced the gondola and would go up the next day after we were rested.

The next day, we went to a couple museums including the house museum for dad. Following this we went up to the top of the mountain via the gondola. When we got up to the top, the view did not disappoint. We were able to see the entirety of the cities and much of the foothills of the Andes Mountainrange. Though one other thing that we did see was the horrible polution problem that Salta has. Being so high in altitude, there really isn't anyplace for the polution to go, so it just hangs earily over the city. This caused us much grief as we coughed a lot and made it more difficult to get over colds that all of us except Karyn had aquired somewhere.

Another day, we went on an excursion on the Tren a las Nubes or, in English, the train to the clouds. This train would take us up 13,845 feet above sea level up in the Andes. Needless to say, this trip took us a long time. It took us nearly 7 hours to get to our destination, La Polvorilla, a viaduct that gave us spectacular views of the valleys between the mountains. Afterwards, the train stopped and let us out so we could buy artisan crafts from the people who lived up there. At times, because of the altitude, it was difficult to breath and I got lightheaded as well. The trip was good, but extremely long. Too long in my opinion. Also it doesn't help when your train car wants to sing kareoke on the way back and you're trying to sleep.

Salta was a very beautiful place. A great tourist destination that really didn't feel too much like a tourist town since it was also touristed by people from South America. If I come back to Argentina, this will be one of my stops again.

Advertisement



4th July 2010

Enjoyed
Hey, Eric, I have really enjoyed reading all of your blogs. Thanks a bunch! I hear you are on your way home - have a safe trip!
5th July 2010

Well said, Brother. I would go back to Salta any day.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb