Argentina - Salta


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
October 23rd 2009
Published: November 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Salta at 10pm on Friday 23 October after my 12 hour journey from San Pedro de Atacama. I was really tired, hungry and thirsty and when I arrived at my hostel it was quite dirty and there was a huge cockroach running around my dorm room floor. I decided to walk around town to try and find a hotel but everywhere was fully booked for the whole weekend. After a couple of hours I was ready to give up (and ready to pass out) and then I found a hotel with availability. I went back to the hostel to collect my stuff and finally checked into the hotel at 12.45am. I had a much needed shower, snack and drink before finally getting to sleep at 2am. After my hotel breakfast on Saturday I watched some football and then went for a walk around the town. I stopped for lunch in a local cafe and then returned to my room. In the evening I went for dinner outside a restaurant on the main plaza (Plaza 9 de Julio). It was good to be back in Argentina enjoying a nice steak and I also tried the local ´Salta´ beer. I returned to my room to watch the Yankees in the playoffs only to discover the game had been rained off so I watched a film instead. After breakfast on Sunday I watched West Ham Vs Arsenal and then Liverpool beat Man Utd. Then I walked around Salta some more and took some photos. In the evening I went back to the same restaurant as the previous night and there were hundreds of people lining the street and the plaza. Then a funeral procession came down the street and into the 19th century pink and cream cathedral. I watched for a bit and then went to watch the Yankees beat the LA Angels 5-2 to claim their place in the World Series. On Monday I walked through Parque San Martin to Cerro San Bernardo where I took the cable car to the summit. There was a waterfall and gardens with numerous birds and you could view the whole of Salta. I took the cable car down and then walked around the local market, stopping for a refreshing peach juice by the lake. Walking back to the hotel I took some final photos of the great architecture that Salta has to offer. I went for a steak lunch in the restaurant next to my hotel and then walked around town some more. In the evening I went to the casino for a couple of hours before grabbing a snack and returning to my room to watch Philadelphia Vs Washington in the NFL. After breakfast on Tuesday I checked out and took a taxi to the bus terminal for my 10.30am bus to the Bolivian border.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

PlazaPlaza
Plaza

My hotel on the left


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb