Argentina...from the beginning


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
January 25th 2009
Published: January 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Argentina....Ive seen a lot of places since the last blog so I shall start from Salta, our first stop in Northern Argentina.

Wow, I really did love Salta. A perfect place to start off in and I was quite upset to leave. Not too big and not too small with a pretty plaza with bundles of al fresco dining and music on the streets. We spent a few days here chilling out and wandering around getting ourselves used to be being back in civilization...traffic lights, paved roads, proper shops and normal flushing toilets with no buckets required, what a treat!.

In Salta, we visited an archaelogical museum which is famous for its 500 year old mummified inca child which is on display. A little bit creepy for me, but still, it was amazing how well preserved she was. There is still controversy over the museum and its decision to show the body, and its thought that the child was also sacrificed which makes it even more shocking.

Before we left we tried out a Pena restaurant which Salta is pretty famous for. It involves hours of traditional folk singing and dancing through to the early hours of the morning, good fun. Salta is also the place where I began my Empanada addiction. I really cant get enough of them now which is a worry as half of it is thick pastry so who knows what size i will be in a months time! (oh and the ice-cream is also to die for here in Argentina so seriously, expect the worst)

After Salta we visited the other areas in the Salta region before heading down to Cordoba in central Argentina.
We visited a little town called Cachi which really was somewhere to potter and relax and drink beer in the plaza (hard life i know!).
Then came Cafayatte where we visited Rio Colorado. Here we were told we had to go visit a 10ft waterfall which was an hours walk away. This however was not the case. It actually turned into a 3 hour hike with us rock climbing/scrambling about, wading through streams and getting lost (no guides or paths here). Luckily for us it was quite busy so we found our way with a group of Argentians who helped get us there thankfully. Im not sure it was entirely worth it for what we saw
Cable car in SaltaCable car in SaltaCable car in Salta

Great views of Salta from the top
and the time it took to get there, but the experience of getting there and back certainly was!! Maybe I will take up rock climbing after this trip! (probably not but stranger things have happened)

Our last stop before Cordoba was a beautiful place called Tafi del Valle. Its surrounded by stunning moutain views and is where the people from Tucuman come to escape the ridiculously humid heat they get. Tafi is a holiday destination and is at just the right warm temperature with clean spring air, so you can see the attraction. On our second day we decided to go on a cheesy 4x4 jeep trip that takes you around the outskirts of Tafi. Again, another trip that deceived us. What we thought was a nice leisurely trip turned into us steaming through a river twice and getting completely soaked and driving over boulders swaying left and right and clinging on for fear of falling out! Such a good laugh though! We also visited what I would say would be my dream house. A really lovely couple lived there and made jams and cheese and lived in this gorgeous house with hammocks outside and plenty of land and llamas to look out onto. Stunning.

Our next journey was towards Cordoba where we studied spanish for a week. Cordoba basically changes your whole body clock. Dinner is at midnight and no earlier and then its out to party till 7am! Seriously, our early nights in were at about 1am...but its all been good fun and I will be sorry to leave. Tonight we are on our way to Mendoza to visit vineyards for some wine and apparently they also make the Chandon champagne which Im most excited about! (you can take the girl out of london etc....). I will also be trying the steak which i still havent tried yet, the shame of it i know!

So more to follow at some point soon....its getting harder and harder to blog in Argentina for some reason!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Pool with a viewPool with a view
Pool with a view

The place to be in Cachi when its so hot
a spot of floodinga spot of flooding
a spot of flooding

on our way to Cordoba
Tafi del ValeTafi del Vale
Tafi del Vale

taken from the jeep which is why its on a slight kilter
Estancia accommodationEstancia accommodation
Estancia accommodation

we stayed in Tafi in this most beautiful Estancia, it was perfect
Museum of the disappearedMuseum of the disappeared
Museum of the disappeared

In Cordoba...these are the faces of those still missing


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb