Salta


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
July 29th 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This is the north of Argentina and sadly our final stop before heading to the border to Bolivia.
Salta is a big town that is overrun with backpackers of all sorts of shapes and sizes. It is a very nice town where you can find lots of hand made artifacts from lama woolen jumpers hats scarves gloves you name it, you can find it here on the streets or in the shops. Lots of hand made jewellery from the various stones that can be found in the local areas. The town square itself is based on 9 de Julio Plaza and has two pedestrian streets leading on to it. There is a huge cathedral located in the centre which is painted in an unusual pink and peach, it looks like sorbet colours that you almost feel like going up licking it. Also the food in Salta is excellent.

Like Cayafte there is plenty of activities to do here in Salta, we took another trip to up northwards to the highest point above sea level so far, 4012mts. On the way there we were told where we could purchase coca leaves and were shown what to do with them to help against altitude sickness.
Our first stop was in a tiny little town where we got home made bread and a cup of coca tea (this just tasted like green tea). The town and all other small towns along the route consisted of one small church and school. We also visited a salt flat of approx 500 square km of salt. The salt came from a near by volcano that erupted years before but the salt has to have another mineral added before its safe for the human body to consume, so don't go sampling. Its possible to buy figurines made from salt that are carved by the local men that have head gear on that would make you think you are after meeting some sort of gang lol! Some parts of the salt flat were dug up to display that directly under this salt there is water and this could be clearly seen. The salt is dug up in bricks and this may only be done by some 30 people that the government has approved of.
Coming out of the salt flats the road to our next destination was approx 90km and this was not the best of roads. There
Ave St. MartinAve St. MartinAve St. Martin

This street is filled with lots of stalls selling all kind of souvenirs.
were no cactus's in sight at this level as we were at very high altitude. However, once we reached the highest peak we meander back down the mountain on normal roads, which did not take very long. We did one final stop in a small town called Purmamarca which surrounded the base of the mountain of the seven colours.
This was a fantastic trip which where did see lots of the county side and surrounding towns of Salta.



Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

There is a man made waterfall on the top of of Cerro San Bearnardo, this is where the cable cars take you
Viewing pointViewing point
Viewing point

of Salta and the Lerma Valley
Inglesia CatedralInglesia Catedral
Inglesia Catedral

This has the ashes of general Martin Miguel de Guemes, a hero of the war of independance
Tren a las NubesTren a las Nubes
Tren a las Nubes

This is basically the train track that brings you to the clouds.
Preparing for altitudePreparing for altitude
Preparing for altitude

By removing the centre vein and stuffing 10 coca leaves in between your gum and teeth, this helps against altitude sickness.
A stop along the wayA stop along the way
A stop along the way

This is where we got the baked bread and coca tea
Afternoon TeaAfternoon Tea
Afternoon Tea

cocoa tea


19th August 2008

How long more in SA? You must have seen it all by now!"!!!! Off to barcelona in am. ciao
22nd September 2008

Hey!
Hi there! Just got your blog address from Mairead. Wow you've been everywhere, it's great, loving the photos! Add me to your mailing list will ya? Looks like you're having a blast :)

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb