The Argentina lake district


Advertisement
Published: May 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bariloche and the surrounding area in Argentina's south west is nick named the lake district. The reason for this was evident as our bus pulled into town by the side of a huge lake, backed by low mountains.

After checking into a lovely hostel where everything was made of pine and we seemed to be the only people staying, we wondered around town and hired a car for the next three days.

Just out of town was a ski lift which took us up to a view point over looking the towns lake.

To end the day we picked up the hire car and drove back to our hostel, in the dark, on the wrong side of the road (which is the right side) and were nearly hit by an old lady who was not looking where she was going. It wasn't my fault!!

The next day we drove out to the 'hippy' town of El Bolson along some beautiful roads full of sweeping curves and glorious mountain landscapes. The town was holding a small market full of handicrafts and homemade chocolates. Once Tracy had finished shopping we drove up to a view point and gazed out
The view from El Bolson's look out pointThe view from El Bolson's look out pointThe view from El Bolson's look out point

The view was so perfect it hardly seemed real.
over the valley that looked more like a stage backdrop than real life.

Our second day trip took us on a 200km circuit through small villages and numerous lakes. It wasn't long before the tarmac gave way to dirt roads. I was enjoying the driving so much I almost felt disappointed when we stopped to take in the scenery. But once we were walking around crystal clear lakes and over picturesque wooden bridges that crossed bubbling rivers, the thrill of driving was replaced with pure serenity.

To round off our time with the hire car we went off to Tronador mountain. This snow capped peak has a permanent glacier that makes its way down to a cloudy lake full of black icebergs. The avalanche warning signs were backed up by the booms and rumbles of avalanches taking place somewhere on the mountain.

Once the car was safety returned to the hire company we booked bus tickets for Chile and went out for our last Argentina steak. Half a kilo of perfectly cooked meat and a bottle of red was the perfect way to end our time in Argentina.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Our final meal in ArgentinaOur final meal in Argentina
Our final meal in Argentina

That was Tracy's meal and she eat it all!!!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb