Bariloche


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

So - Bariloche - what´s it got that other places haven´t? An enormous crystal clear, snow-melt fed lake, lots of mountains with the prospect of skiing in the winter or mountain biking in the summer, beaches (albeit rocky and a little chilly), curranto (we´ll come back to that), chocolate shops, locally brewed beer, crazy Swiss ´alpine´ villages, Oliver Reid lookalikes (OK only one), a friendly laid back language school, good cheeses, empanadas, good wine and a generally relaxed, if a bit touristy, vibe.

We started with a 3-day walk in the mountains via Cerro Cathedral and some very sketchy scree slopes. The first night we got to camp alone in the woods. On the second day we walked through some unlikely, but very picturesque bamboo and lily lined trails. We diced with death (OK not really) crossing a condemned swing bridge over what must be the clearest, bluest river in the world. Eventually we wound up in Colonia Suizza (Swiss enclave) and by lucky coincidence it was the Curanto festival: A whole farmyard and veggie patch is layed over rocks and wood which is lit, with the whole lot then buried under green leaves and soil. It sheds a new light on the expression ´dig in´. The cooking results in a deliciously smoky flavour. We had more than we could eat, at the all you can eat.

One of our main reasons for being in Bariloche was to dust up our Spanish a bit. After our humiliating first day in Buenos Aires, it was encouraging to see that after 5 weeks in America del Sur we had improved marginally. A side benefit was that we got to spend a bit of time in one place and to stay in a hostel run by Olver Reed´s long lost Argentinian twin brother. He didn't appear to share Olly's drinking habit, although Paul subjected him to a daily chat in Spanish, which he always seemed a bit uncomfortable with (couldn't really blame him if he sought liquid solace afterwards, although he regularly said he was very pleased).

Slightly disppointed that we didn't manage to squeeze in a run down the downhill bike tracks we discovered, but all said Bariloche was a great place to hang out.

Mad gives the big B a big thumbs up 10/10, and Paul gives 9.5 (would have been a 10 with the biking).


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Paul feeds his empanada addictionPaul feeds his empanada addiction
Paul feeds his empanada addiction

Also note his Latino-man body language, reserved for when he speaks Spanish


3rd March 2008

WOW!
I know I have only just gotten home to Queenscliff but your shots are making me envious, I will have a word to my mum and dad and see if we can book a quick trip and meet you somewhere!! I would be a valuable addition to your scree hoping, biking adventures... love, even though you are but a whisper in my head x Poppy Day
6th March 2008

Poppy Day on Tour
Poppy We´d love to have you on our trip. How´s your Spanish? We need an interpreter. By the way, could you bring us some vegemite? Mad and Paul

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb