Pichilemu


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » O Higgins » Pichilemu
February 24th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

At the border...At the border...At the border...

...time drags, but at least the view is good.
After nearly 2 months without a surf, it was time to get wet. We picked Pichilemu as our location due to its reknowned long left hand break. However our first impressions of the town were a bit underwhelming. We´d imagined sparsely populated golden sands, the creak of swinging hammocks and the odd straw beach umbrella. The reality was grey sands, grey skies, grey sea, sunbathers in coats (a la UK), 2 circus big tops, a fair and the whole population of Chile. Apart from the last bit we could be in Blackpool.

We had a bidding war of accomodation when we got off the bus. The one we selected was a tiny 2nd floor cabana over looking next door´s version of ´The Good Life´ complete with chickens. We moved to ´Gustamar´ the next day, with a balcony overlooking the sea, which we gusta´d very much. Perfect for post surfing lazing around.

After lunch on the first day, the skies cleared, we met Elvis and we found a new affection for Pichy.

Outback the left was cranking ´superf**king bueno´ according to Elvis (who now runs a surf school at Pichy). However, this surf was for the big boys. (Dan you´d have loved it). Our place was the messy mush nearer the shore.

We got 4 days of surfing in and spent the rest of the time reading and trying out local empanadas and completos (hot dogs with mashed avocado and tomato). It has become apparant that empanadas aren´t as good with cheese (Rosie, I know you wont believe us but its true) - and we have researched this extensively. That said, Pichy scores highly on our Empanada ratings system (ERS).

Pichelemu is seething with holidaying Chileans. At night the main street is pumping with activity. It´s crazy but fun. In the midst of this are cute horse drawn carriages. We took one of these when we had takeaway empanadas for dinner and didn´t want them to get cold on the way home.

We left Pichy with smiles on our lobster faces.

Scores for Pichy: Mad gives it a 7. Paul gives the town a 6, the surf a 9 (if only I was good enough to get out back) and the empanadas 9.5.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Getting away from it allGetting away from it all
Getting away from it all

Not a soul to be seen for miles around. Hmmm.
Fat CowFat Cow
Fat Cow

In between Empanadas I like to keep the tanks topped up with the odd ´Completo´ (Hot dog with the works). Not bad, but you can´t beat the ´nadas.


6th March 2008

where?
are the pics of the surf, I know my Dad will be asking!!
6th March 2008

empanadas
All this empanada talk is making me hungry! When we visit you guys in the UK I expect a tried and true rendition (no cheese?... really? are you sure?) which I will happily get all over my face, clothes and dad too if possible. Love the 'superf**king' blog, sounds like your having a great time. x

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb