Siete Lagos and so much more!


Advertisement
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Villa la Angostura



So, after leaving El Bolson in the late afternoon, we drove back to Bariloche and then continued north to see the Siete Lagos (Seven Lakes) and the small towns of Villa la Angostura and San Martin de los Andes. We arrived in Villa La Angostura in the evening and while still planning to camp somewhere along the road, we decided to pull into town to buy some cold beer for later. When we got out of the wee car in front of a small grocery store, we instantly knew something must be going on in town, as there were people walking everywhere and lots of music. A few steps revealed a large festival going on with lots of artisans, food, and music. So, we wandered about in there for awhile, eating popcorn and deciding if we really should buy a bizzaro lil´gnome guy or maybe a Homer Simpson dressed as Fidel Castro t-shirt. Really, so many options!!

After roaming about until dark, we decided we ought to find a campsite for the night. About 30 minutes out of town and along the famous Seven Lakes Route, we found a decent site along a lake. We made a lovely lentils and cous-cous dinner (a camping staple for us lately) and went to bed.

Up early the next morning as the traffic was already starting on the road. There was lots of construction vehicles as it appears they are working on paving this road. This is probably a good thing, as we had heard it described as the dustiest road in all of Argentina. So, off we were to drive and see the sights.

Siete Lagos & San Martin de los Andes


The lakes were beautiful and the road wasn´t all that bad. Each one had a viewpoint where we dutifully pulled over and took the requisite photos. We also found at several of these "miradors" merchants selling various craft and food items. One we were we lucky enough to investigate further was selling empanadas, cheeses, salami and the most delicious breads. We chose one with cheese inside and it was delicious.

After the lakes, we reached another chi-chi lil´resort town called San Martin de los Andes. It is on the shore of a large lake and is full of time-shares. It was a nice stop from the driving. We walked around town, ate a spinach pizza and got back in the car. We should also add that the night before we realized that we had lost most of our lights. The ones lost were: blinkers, hazards, dash lights, and brake lights. So we had head lights and one tail light. I think that put us on about par with the rest of the vehicles, although we made few left turns and drove a little more defensively. We tried in vain to find and replace the fuses as fast as they blew and finally gave up.

Our car being due back early the next morning, we decided to push on to Bariloche. We found a very crazy camping area on the road heading to Llao Llao...complete with a pool and LOTS of Argentine families. It was more amusement park than camping, but it served the purpose and we drank another nice bottle of vino to toast our first succesful Latin American road trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Be Like a CatBe Like a Cat
Be Like a Cat

Come on people, bury your waste!!! Please!
Mirador MerchantsMirador Merchants
Mirador Merchants

Yes, this was the best bread we had on the trip so far. Wish we had bought more!
Caution...THIS.Caution...THIS.
Caution...THIS.

Wé get the part that we will be going down hill FAST, but will that guy be with us?
San Martin de Los AndesSan Martin de Los Andes
San Martin de Los Andes

A fancy little resort town
Fancy Phone BoothFancy Phone Booth
Fancy Phone Booth

We´ve actually seen alot of elaborate phone booths all over the country.
Canyon with cool rock formationsCanyon with cool rock formations
Canyon with cool rock formations

This was on our back after our super loop drive to/from Bariloche.


25th February 2007

one of the best signs I have ever seen
By the looks of that sign, downhill car surfing seems to be a common driving hazard. When your car is the size of a skateboard, maybe it's possible.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0156s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb