Refugios and Hiking Around El Bolson


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Río Negro » El Bolsón
January 7th 2009
Published: January 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I spent 6 days hiking around El Bolson. Each night sleeping in a different refugio. Refugios are rustic buildings and the surrounding areas that function as combination campsites-dorms-restaurant-kitchen facilities and crash pads. Basically they are little communities in the wilderness populated by a couple caretakers and a daily rotation of trekkers. They are located in areas of interest along trails in the mountains - next to a lake or near a canyon or a glacier route. Each refugio has workers who greet visitors, get them registered and setup for the night. Most sell pizza or some other main meal, wine or locally brewed beer. Some have hot showers. Bread and jam are usually available for breakfast. Theoretically you can walk from refugio to refugio with nothing more than a sleeping bag staying on the floor in a large common dorm (often the entire upstairs floor of the building) on foam mattresses. Dorms rooms can fit from 5 to 30 other trekkers. I brought a couple hunks of cheese, some bread sticks and a few other lunch items and I was very glad I had the extra food, the refugios vary in what and how much is available. It was nice to have my own food for breakfast and lunch when I wanted it. The refugios vary in size and construction. Some have large staffs with lots of cool wooden seats and tables, others are more basic. The staffs in all were really friendly and helpful.

Sometimes the number of people in a refugios ´living´space is almost overwhelming - some are very popular. On the other hand the homey atmosphere is great and there is no better place to meet new people than sitting around a wooden table drinking matte after a long day hiking. I met more Argentinians in 5 days than I´d met in the last 5 weeks. A couple nights we spent sitting around a fire singing songs. I was stunned to hear a dozen or more Beatles tunes played by Argentinians, singing all the english lyrics, with most of the other Argentinians around the fire singing right along.

The refugios are run by Club Andino Piltriquitron which has an information office in El Bolson right on the main road just a block away from the main town square and the information center. The Club has maps and a great guide book. Prior to hiking you need to register your approximate dates and route. There is no fee to register at the office.

The hiking map given out at the Club Andino office is excellent. There are also some´unmaintained´trails that are not on the map. For example there is an old trail between Refugio Encanto Blanco and the trail to Los Laguitos. Ask at the Club Andino office for more info on small trails.

The mapped trails are very well marked. I had no trouble hiking between the refugios, following the trail markers. Some trails are very steep. Real hiking boots would have been nice but I survived with my walking shoes.

A night in a refugio dorm is about 35 pecos. An evening meal, maybe 30 or 35 pecos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Booklet with details about the refugiosBooklet with details about the refugios
Booklet with details about the refugios

Available from Club Andino


14th January 2009

My friend!!!
Hi Bill! How are you? looking for some photos from Bolson I found your blog. It's very nice read this things about my country, although some inconvenient you had in Bs.As., but as you could see, everybody isn't the same. Send me your email so I can send you some photographs. Enjoy the rest of your vacations!
23rd November 2009

hiking
hello, thanks for the info. i am wondering, how long, and how cheaply, is it possible to hike around the areas with refugios? For instance, if i brought a tent, could i set up nearby and just buy some food? And, are you able to buy supplies at the refugios, or just meals? Thanks, Eli
24th November 2009

You can camp with a tent next to the refugios I visited. It costs but not much... 3 or 4 dollars US maybe. Food you can buy but what is available varies from refugio to refugio. Better to bring some of your own. Go! Take a week, or more!
5th August 2010

you have made my DAY!!!
my husband and myself used to live in Alaska and last January we went to Patagonia and spent only 1 day in El Bolson and so we are going back to that area next january for 3 weeks did you hike around Bariloche or should we stay in elbolson area or or go further south after hiking for a week near El Bolson?? karen Busch
6th August 2010

Local info source
great photos, great post. for up to the minute info on outdoor/wilderness activities in and around el bolson travelers might want to check in with the guys at The Confluence Project (it's in english), a local group promoting sustainable living initiatives: http://www.theconfluenceproject.com
5th May 2011
Glacier Hielo Azul

photo
amazing photo. sure do miss the andes.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 20; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb