Ruines de San Ignacio


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » San Ignacio
May 13th 2010
Published: May 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we began our journey toward Puerto Iguazu as well as Iguazu Falls. We got out of class early to prepare for our departure as it was going to be an extremely long bus ride. And the bus ride was indeed extremely long, nearly 20 hours after all the stops were included. Luckily, I had my Ipod to keep me entertained, as well as several movies that the group was able to play over the dvd player we had one the bus.

Along the way, we stopped at one of the Jesuit ruins that lie along the road. The one we stopped at was called San Ignacio. While here, we were able to take several beautiful pictures of the ruins, despite that they were cleaning much of one side of them at the time. The only really well preserved buildings were the viviendas, or living spaces, the iglesia, or church, and of course the main plaza which has been kept exceptionally green. The entire tour was in Spanish, and with all sorts of interesting things around me to view, I couldn't give my full attention to the guide so sadly, I missed much of what she was saying. Thought I could grab bits a pieces here and there, such as that the stone altar in the church is one of the best preserved pieces in the ruins.

After several more hours on the bus, we finally arrived at our hotel in Puerto Iguazu. We spent the rest of the afternoon sitting around the pool, sipping drinks and playing hacky sack. We of course went to bed early as we had several long days ahead of us to explore the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Looking Over The PlazaLooking Over The Plaza
Looking Over The Plaza

Large plaza with ruins surrounding it
House RuinsHouse Ruins
House Ruins

These particular houses used to be for the government workers
Back Of The ChurchBack Of The Church
Back Of The Church

There is also what used to be a cemetery in the foreground, but it is no longer there.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb