Thats a lot of water


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
April 28th 2006
Published: April 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

King of the worldKing of the worldKing of the world

Argentinian side. Climbing on the railings wasn't really allowed. Something about the 500 ft sheer drop behind me
We are now in Argentina and have completed our first country, Brazil.

The last two days were spent at the largest waterfalls in the world! We visited the Brazillian side first and were staying at a youth hostel 12 km from Foz de Iguaçu. It had its own swimming pool and was really good.

That night we went into town to see what was going on. On the way a Brazillian guy who worked at the falls got on and we started chatting. He said he lived close to where our hostel was and if we wanted to come round the next day for dinner... we had planned to visit the Argentinian side the next day so made our excuses and thought no more about it.

Town was dead so we decided to head back to the hostel at around 10pm. While waiting for the bus I tried to talk to one of the local girls. It was very difficult as she couldn´t speak English and I couldn't speak Portguese or Spanish. Managed to work out her family were from Foz and she had lived in Buenos Aires for the last 5 years. I also got her email address, then have now lost it!

As we were walking the km back from the bus stop to the hostel we ran into the Brazillian guy, Jundi outside his house. He invited us in, well onto his porch, then told us his mother was asleep to not to be too loud. One of his friends then turned up on a motorbike, the Brazillian Piers, wearing trousers and a big jacket. He spoke good English too. More people turned up then Piers said "Jundi, he plays the guitar real nice". So Jundi got his guitar and started to play songs. We all tried to sing along even to the Brazillian ones... then he handed me the guitar and I proceeded to impress them with my 8 song repetoir!

We got up really earlier and went to the Brazillian side of the falls. My first sight of the falls, well, I thought they would be bigger with more water, but they were still amazing. Then however as we continued down the trail we found that round the corner it opened up to one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen! The scale of the falls is impossible to describe, all I can say is that you should go and visit them, also check out the photos!

Luckily there wern't too many people so we were able to get onto the platform in front of the main 'catarats' to get a good photo and also get soaked at the same time!

In the afternoon we crossed the border into Argentina, which involved getting a bus to Brazillian imigration, getting our passports stamped, then waiting for a bus to take us to the Argentinian imigration (you weren't allowed to walk the half a mile) None of the buses would pick us up as we had to wait for the one from the same company as our previous bus in order to use our ticket!

The next day we did the Argentinian side of the falls. This is much bigger than the Brazillian side with many more trails to do and you get to look right over the top of the falls, nearly. It gave you a real appreciation for the power of the falls, being so close. 7 hours later we had finished our last trail on which we saw giant ants (about 1 inch) but no Jaguars unfortunately.

We managed to find a really good dancing bar last night and stayed out until 4am so today has been spent recovering. Although we might go back again tonight... the Argentina girls really know how to shake their hips.

Off to Posadas, Santa Fe then Buenos Aires next. Till then.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Getting wet through!Getting wet through!
Getting wet through!

Brazillian side
The mighty IguazuThe mighty Iguazu
The mighty Iguazu

Brazillian side
Looking down from the topLooking down from the top
Looking down from the top

Brazillian side. Just imagine going over that in a barrel!
Looking over the fallsLooking over the falls
Looking over the falls

Argentinian side
Me at the topMe at the top
Me at the top

Argentinian side, there's always someone who gets in the shot to ruin it!
CrocadilliaCrocadillia
Crocadillia

Argentinian side
The life jacket wouldn't be much use round hereThe life jacket wouldn't be much use round here
The life jacket wouldn't be much use round here

Argentinian side. Travelling across the falls to an island for more views. Well ok, it wasn't actually across the the falls....
Tucan play at thatTucan play at that
Tucan play at that

Argentinian side. Cool, the first time I´ve ever seen a Tucan before


1st May 2006

Soooo jealous!
Hi Gary, Did you time your trip on purpose to make it right as I get home from mine just so you can get your revenge and send me nice e-mails when i am working (well, looking for work)? Looks fun. Not sure if i saw a tucan or not... Don't miss the "La Boca" area in Buenos Aires and also the cemetery whenere Evita is buried - quite creepy! Love Sharon
5th May 2006

Hey Gary Incredibly jealous! Loved the pics and so wish we could pack our bags and go travelling too. Instead we're busy arguing about decorating. The house came through on tueday and we are busy painting and moving. Wish you were around.... (ok! maybe just to give us a hand!;) Take care matie. Hello to big matt and keep those pics and stories comming in. Tush x

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb