Iguazu falls


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
June 26th 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Having finally made it out of Buenos Aires we arrived at the little town of Puerto Iguazu having taken the famous 'ejecutivo' overnight bus. And very nice it was too with comfy seats, champagne and wine served - the only shocker was the 2 hour long 80s music compilation video which they played. However after a few bevvies we were soon singing along.
Puerto Iguazu itself is pleasant enough and is located very close to the famous Iguazu Falls. We had been recommended the Hostelling International, which was out of town - but as it was too cold to use the swimming pool so the extra cost seemed pointless. Instead we stayed at the lovely Puerto Canoas. The little hostel was nicely set around a courtyard with hummingbirds and hammocks; you could tell that you're close to jungle by the birdsounds and the air and soon the picture was completed by a real tropical downpour. This was not all bad as this meant that the falls would be roaring with extra water the next day.

The falls were amazing; the main event is the Devil's Gorge situated in between Brazil and Argentina and due to the heavy rain fall the
Never did find the pot of goldNever did find the pot of goldNever did find the pot of gold

but haven't been this close either
mist was so dense we could not see across to the Brazilian side at all. On the walkway to the gorge we spotted toucans, vultures and loads of other birds. We wrapped the day up with a walk across the top of the falls, a seemingly prehistoric landscape which was beautiful. Walking around you have to be aware of the coaties though- they look cute but like to bite. In fact the guide book warned that they like to steal from handbags 'using threats' which we would love to have heard!We came across several gangs hanging around and waited patiently until they were all gone before crossing a bridge.
You can also get close to the falls by going to San Martin island but we decided to save that until the next day hoping we'd have blue skies. That evening we met up with two Austrians and two Irish in the hostel and indulged in the Argentinian red wine and good food.

The next day we had blue skies and rainbows. The lower walkway and the island are simply stunning and the weather prompted us to go back to the gorge to see the difference a day makes. There are professional photographers there on ladders taking photographs of people which you can then collect as you leave the park. We bribed one with a few pesos and he took a few shots of us with our own camera.
The falls are wonderful and we would love to go back one day to visit the Brazilian side. Time however means we need to start making our way west and so we boarded a bus the next day to Salta.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

on the Argie side of the fallson the Argie side of the falls
on the Argie side of the falls

due to the watervapour the Brasil side was not visible
Another amazing viewAnother amazing view
Another amazing view

spot the two in the front


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb