That´s what I call a shower


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
February 12th 2009
Published: February 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So this is it....probably the last major excursion of our trip, and possibly one of the most anticipated - We both had a pìcture of this magnificent natural wonder as our screensavers at work, and sat dreaming of when we´d finally be miles away around the world!

We began the day early so as to avoid the crowds and in the final seconds before leaving the hostel I eventually managed to convince Dan that we might need our waterproofs - the sky looked a little overcast and it was rainy season at the end of the day....so we managed to squeeze them into a small space in the rucksack....

.....Phew, what a good job we did - Not only did it rain (I´ll get to that bit in a minute!) but the spray from the almighty falls was enough to soak you through from here until next week! We excitedly walked along the network of catwalks that traversed the very top of "Garganta del Diablo" - "Devil´s Throat" (The main and most powerful section of the falls) and I began to feel nervous as the roar of the falls grew louder and deafeningly loader - my nervousness wasn´t helped by the remains of a catwalk that had been semi-destroyed and washed away by the sheer power of a flood a few years back!

Dan - The falls themselves cover a large area with tonnes of falls everywhere, it took us all day to see all the cascades. When the heavens finally opened up all the falls got faster and the roar louder, we even had to leave the ´Isla Grande San Martin´ (a small island at the base of the falls, right inside the horseshoe of the falls) early as the river level had risen significantly and it was no longer safe.

Within ther park there are these little funny looking creatures (see pic) one of which was eyeing up our lunch. As we began to shoo it away (Dan, as ever, is very protective of his food!) an American guy came over and began to pet it, looking at us as if we were being the cruelest people on the planet - "He only wants a bit of fuss, don´t ya fella..."......When all of a sudden the "cute little thing" jumped up, scratched the guy with it humongous claws, grabbed his (Stupidly expensive) ice-cream and ran off with it in it´s mouth!!!! - Ha ha! for some reason the guy didn´t stick around for long after the ambush!!

So the falls lived up to expectations and more, but it was good to get back to the hostel and 'Put kettle on' and dry off.

Nic - Ha ha, my fingers and toes had gone wrinkly from being wet all day - sometimes the spray from the falls could be almost choking as it was so heavy - which unfortunately limited our photo taking, some of them just ended up being a complete mass of white, not much to look at! - although it didn´t stop us from standing at the top of the falls to watch thousands of birds swirling around in the spray.....I cant understand how thery didn´t drown or get washed down to the abiss, they were flying in formation in and out of the falls and then swirling up into the sky and back around again - it really was amazing to watch!

And as expected the heavens did open, it was really quite funny seeing crowds of people sloping around soaked through to the very core - and yet it didn´t seem to dampen anyones enthusiasm, this place is just awe inspiring! I smugly donned my waterproof, expecting a little shelter from the water but had forgotten that every time I wear it, it seems to become of less and less use and I may as well have been wearing a wet tea-towel...and so as usual began to freeze - in a tropical rainforest, yes, I know it´s weird!

So, with all the major things crossed of our list, we´re left with 2 weeks...eeeekk!! Rio carnival awaits us - but we´ve had a major fiasco with our accomodation and so are now bed-less, so we need to come up with a ´plan B´ fast!

More soon!
xxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Note to Self...............Note to Self...............
Note to Self...............

Cut hair, Remove beard!!


13th February 2009

This is stunning place, you've deffinately convinced me to go and see it
15th February 2009

LOL
I was just admiring the beautiful views of the falls...until......DANS HAIR now I am in fits of laughter.....dan I really hope ur gonna keep them gorgeous locks for a while its a true reminder and memory of ur amazin journey but still so funny everytime I look at u im cracking up....!!!! SO SO.... looking foward to seeing u not long now..woohoo.... I guess u guys are gutted its time to come home but u r gonna get so much love and hugs...bla bla bla.....lol...coz we've all missed u like crazy it will be worth it ...Love u lots cant wait to see u only couple of weeks to go...he he...love Lou Lou......xxxx
16th February 2009

Wow
This blog is so good i just booked my ticket there on expedia.co.uk
17th February 2009

Hair today, gone tomorrow
Hello Budger, Is that really my boy in the photos? With a cursary glance or a purfunctuary butchers, I thought it was a Yetti or at the very least, a wild man of Borneo! Mind you, either one of them would look far more human than you do. They won't let you back in the country Dan! Don't bother trying, your passport photo will be invalid! No resemblence, suppose I'd better prepare the UK consulate out there to expect a problem with a certain young traveller, when he tries to get home! I'll get a de-contamination area ready, outside in the garden and order a sheep shearer in case you do get back! Wonder how long it will take to get you house trained! The Falls look incredible, bet you had a blast out there, not surprised you both got soaked. Stay lucky, people, much love from the Old Man. Blimey O'reilly, you two really have been away far too long!

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 108; dbt: 0.1408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb