Us and the amazing Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
February 13th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we made it to Iguazu and my was the 2 day bus journey worth it. We arrived on the Brazilian side but had been informed it is much nicer to stay on the Argentinean side so we headed off to find a bus to get us across the border. Another 2 stamps in the passport.

We eventually found a hostel and grapped a few hours sleep having not really slept for 2 nights. Late afternoon we decided to head to the falls for the afternoon and take a boat ride under the falls. We totally under estimated how long it would take to get there, buy our ticket and walk to the jetty to catch the boat so when we got there we got a fletting view of the falls and a toucan while running to frantically catch the last boat. We finally made the boat in time to take in the breath taking views. I am struggling to find words to describe the power, volume and sheer grandness of the falls. We got onto the boat and within seconds were soaked. The boat takes you up to the base of the biggest fall called Devils Throat and straight under it is so much fun but you cant open your eyes due to the total power. After disembarking and looking like drowned rats we realised there was only half an hour before the park closed.

Needless to say we headed back the next day. What a great valentines walking around Iguazu Falls didn´t give the postman and his heavy sack a thought once... It took us all day to walk around the Argentine side of the falls and take in the views from all heights. To get to the start of one trail and the top of another you get a little train around (for those of you who know it, it is like the train that takes you around Wickstead Park). You walk over the river and to the top of the falls on metal walkways and through the rainforest. I also spent a lot of the day with my head in the sky looking for another toucan as the sight the day before was so fleeting but guess what not one....

Day 3 at the falls we headed on a 3 day pass trip where you cross over into Brazil to see the falls and into Paraguay. Paraguay was a total dump, just like walking around Corby market but worse and we didn´t even get a stamp in our passports which wasone of the main reasons for going. People trying to sell me barbies, socks, manicure kits, fold away seats all sorts. Then we visitied the Taitpu Hydroelectric planet which is supposed to be the biggest in the world which was fairly interesting. Then on to see the falls from the Brazilian side. The views from the Brazilian side give you a total overview of actually how big they are as you can see them face on rather than being on top of them. It really is hard place to describe but definatley another highlight of the trip. Now back over the border into Brazil. Quite sad as I have really enjoyed Argentina and we will miss the great wine and steaks.( we have that many stamps for argentina they are going to think we are up to something).

Off to the rainforest now for another wildlife adventure,altough it took me a lot to persuade Dean it was agood idea, due to his phobea of snakes, he has told me if he gets the slighest glimpse of a snake he will never speak to me again....fingers crossed!!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb