Posadas, The long trek down


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Posadas
August 7th 2008
Published: August 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today could have been our most daunting prospect of the trip however with the hotel sorted we could relax and enjoy the day in Posadas.

After a leisurely breakfast we wander into the square where some old fella tells us about a little known "other" square where people sit and sip their Mate.

Oh at this point I realise I haven't described what Mate is. Well basically it's a herbal concoction that everyone seems to drink not only in Argentina but Paraguay as well. Each person has a pot with the leaves in and a flask of hot water which is added throughout the day. The drink is drunk through a metal perforated straw and most important thing of all is that you can't get this in a restaurant. So either buy some yourself or hope that someone offers it to you.

As it happens, we were offered on the boat back from the island in Foz and I'd like to tell you that I accepted it and everything was wonderful. However, I won't lie, I turned the offer down and have regretted it ever since...if you ever get the chance don't make this mistake. I know now that this was a big insult. Oh well I digress.

So we make our way to this park and it is at this point that I think I may have made a translation error and it is a square with a statue of a man drinking mate. I imagine people also drink here but still I'm glad we've found it.

Next we head down to the riverside where the sun is beating down and the breeze is blowing and this really refreshes me after the previous nights festivities.

Deciding that lunch will probably be our dinner we decide to have a large one by the riverside .

We head back to the hotel who are holding onto our bags and walk back to the station arriving with an hour to spare (once bitten twice shy and all that). Of course the bus was late but once more was of the luxury variety and provided some films (kung-fu thing and life sentence). The remainder of the time was passed by having a 90s revival sing along, much to the annoyance of our fellow passengers, and trying to work out how to open the toilet door.

At
Random TangoRandom TangoRandom Tango

Taken as we wait for bus to Salto.
1.30am we roll into Concordia and grab a taxi to our hotel who are ready and waiting for us. The room is cramped but really we don't care and soon hit the sack.

The next morning we have breakfast and pay up before getting a taxi to the terminal. From there we pop across the road and purchase a ticket on Chadre for the bus over to Salto in Uruguay (ARG$69). When the bus reaches the border we are let off and they perform both exit and entry procedures before we jump back on the bus and head into Salto.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb