Somebody turn the tap on!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Iguazú National Park
September 8th 2006
Published: September 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Iguazu FallsIguazu FallsIguazu Falls

Iguazu Falls
First of all, we must give unholy praise to the Argentinian bus service. I know we´ve mentioned them before, but this last trip was something else. After leaving Buenos Aires at 7pm, we settled in for our 20 hour bus trip on our fully reclinable seats with private television. About an hour in, our cabin steward, compensated us for the paltry conditions with a wee dram of whisky. We were still not suitably impressed, therefore they attempted to appease us by serving a steak dinner that "Harvester" would struggle to match. And to wash it down with afterwards, what else but a chilled glass of champagne. All for the princely sum of 20 quid. National Express take note!!!!!

So into Iguazu falls, the site of one the most impressive sets of waterfalls in the world with no less than 275 interlinking waterfalls. For those of you that watched it, there was an episode on David Attenborough´s "Planet Earth" series based around it.

As it sits on the border of Brazil and Argentina, we decided to view it from both sides as Brazil gives you a grand overview, while you can get up close and personal on the Argie side.
La Garganta Del DiabloLa Garganta Del DiabloLa Garganta Del Diablo

From the Brazilian side
So off we went to cross off one of the "50 things to see before you die".

And unfortunately, it was a bit of a dissapointment. As luck would have it, they were going through an incredibly dry period and there was probably 50% less water volume as there should be this time of year. Where there should of been gushing falls, were now only dry river beds. It was really gutting at the time, but if four months away has taught us nothing else, it´s that you just cant second-guess nature. Whether it be whale-watching, looking for lava flows or waterfalls, I guess you pay your money and hope for the best! But in retrospect, it was still hugely impressive and I think we were the victim of our own preconceptions. If we had just turned up with no prior knowledge of the falls, we would definitely have still been blown away. But seeing as we spent the 6 months previous to going away, excitedly staring at the "best photos" online, we built up the hype to what it could never match on the day. Lesson learnt I believe.

What was a huge bonus though was our
The Devils ThroatThe Devils ThroatThe Devils Throat

Iguazu Falls
visit to the Brazilian "Iguazu Bird Park" which was absolutely fantastic. You can really get up close to the kind of birds that you´ve only ever seen on Guinness adverts. Speaking of which, Toucans aint as cute as they look. One tried to make sausage rolls out of my fingers with its foot long beak. Saying that, I guess I must have been like a Paparazzi. You stick a camera in somebody´s face, you´re gonna get a clout. Therefore we renamed our friendly Toucan: Jay Kay, the frontman for Jamiraquai, due to his penchant for battering journo´s.

All in all, it has been great here although the shine was slightly tarnished. But its another one of the Earths great natural wonders ticked off the list, and i guess many people wont be lucky enough to see it for themselves so we should be grateful in that respect.

So off once again now to Rio de Janeiro and Ive got my thong ready! Bet you cant wait for the next installment now!

Lots of love

Stu and Nadine


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Iguazu FallsIguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls

The cliffs between each waterfall should of been one mass of water!
Iguazu FallsIguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls

From the Brazililian side
Iguazu FallsIguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls

To give you some indication of scale, there is a bloke in a boat on the left. This is not as big as La Garganta.
La Garganta del DiabloLa Garganta del Diablo
La Garganta del Diablo

You need a couple of cameras to fit it all in!
Iguazu FallsIguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls

The edge of La Garganta
Iguazu FallsIguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls

Ahhh, a Rainbow!
The Simpsons....The Simpsons....
The Simpsons....

We renamed this the "Monty Burns" Bird!
Iguazu Bird ParkIguazu Bird Park
Iguazu Bird Park

Green Parrott
Evil Tucan!Evil Tucan!
Evil Tucan!

A second later he tried to take my fingers off!
Iguazu Bird ParkIguazu Bird Park
Iguazu Bird Park

Toucan play that game!
Iguazu Bird ParkIguazu Bird Park
Iguazu Bird Park

I swear they spray them for the tourists!
Itaipu DamItaipu Dam
Itaipu Dam

The Worlds biggest Hydroelectric Dam
Argentinian BusArgentinian Bus
Argentinian Bus

More Whisky sir?


24th September 2006

New Zealand
I think Robs shown me these last letters in the wrong order. Anyway New Zealand is fantastic we envy you, when you are on North Island you must visit The Gumdiggers Tea Rooms, if you are passing, fabulous pies and puddings, Rob will give you directions...... from Auckland north on SH1 for 115k to Maungaturoto, turn left onto SA12. 20k from turn off is GTR, great tucker.....who's ate all the pies. you fat b.....d!!!!! Take care

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb