Iguazu


Advertisement
Published: January 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=PLoc_Mr48_g][youtube=QMfhGjuvFLc][youtube=ucBvSeP04bA]Set amongst a 55,000 hectare sub-tropical forest lies one of the worlds most splendorous sights. Formed over a basalt plateau, the confluence of the Rio Iguazu (Brasil) and the Rio Parana (Paraguay) has produced something truly remarkable. A natural wonder so amazingly vast, powerfully loud and serenely beautiful, its hard to think why is this place not a household name? Bordering Argentina and Brasil, Cataratas Iguazu is an astonishing collection of 275 waterfalls spread over the different levels of the plateau. On their own these waterfalls would satisfy most paradise seekers but at Iguazu, nature had something else in mind. Cut into the forest edge the eroded plateau is a haven of tumbling water, from the thunderous display of the mighty Garganta del Diablo to the less misty Salto’s surrounding Isla San Martin, waterfalls feed waterfalls over the varying plateau plates.
Its hard not to be cast under the spell of Iguazu, the sights are indescribable, 2.7 kms of waterfalls, some converging into a massive natural liquid display, some just hiding in the thick forest. The abundance of bird and land wildlife comes together with the Cataratas to create an experience like no other. It’s a national park that fills out everyday but the others cannot affect the experience of this especially peaceful place.

As we were staying in Puerto Iguazu (Argentina) we would first visit the Argentinean side. There had been quite a bit of rainfall in the last few days so the rivers were very high. We wanted to take one of Iguazu’s famed boat trips into one of the waterfalls but as the jetty had been flooded the only way to take a boat trip would be to sign up to the jeep jungle ride and then take a boat into the falls. It was a worthy trip, although we didn’t see anything new or particularly interesting on the jeep, the speedboat through the river rapids and into the mouths of two of Iguazu’s ‘throats’ gave us plenty of laughs and a sub-tropical shower.
Parque Nacional Iguazu has a superb network of walkways weaving in between the forest and delicate Salto’s which lead over to lookouts of the vast espace of the finely shaped plateau. A platform at the base of Salto Dos Hormanas gives everyone the chance to get up close and personal with the waterfall, not to mention soaked!
Other trails follow the Rio Igauzu before it jumps off the edge into the Salto’s and back into the jungle where waterfalls just seem to jump out and say 'Boo'. Watch Video
For power, noise and mist the walkway over the Rio Iguazu to the first Cataratas was one of those ‘weak at the knee’ moments. The walkway extends just about up to the point where the water falls away beneath you. At this point the Rio Iguazu looks more like a lake and although the banks are visible the sense of instability is overcoming. It’s as if there is a plug hole built into Iguazu and we’re at the edge of it. The semi circular drop of the Cataratas is a deafening display of gushing water and rising mist swallowing everything around us, known as Garganta del Diablo (devils throat) Watch Video Aptly named its an ore inspiring sight.

After seeing the Argentinean side we went over to the Brasilian side to get a different view. So we left Argentina for a day to return to Brasil. With our papers all back in order we should have an easy boarder experience. Or will we?.......
After sneaking over the Paraguayan boarder to get to Argentina we would find ourselves back in Cuidad del Este, did we want to be there? Erm no. Stupidly we didn’t read the signs in Puerto Iguazu’s bus terminal and ended up on a bus bound for Paraguay. Now we were under the impression that this would be ok, after all the bus needs to go through Brasil to get to Paraguay. We just didn’t think about a small detail - immigration! Our bus was bound soley for Paraguay and a stop in Brasil without going through customs would be highly illegal for our driver. So we found ourselves back in Cuidad del Este and already through immigration. Again without visa’s we decided to have a quick look at the bustling town that we had missed out on a couple of days earlier. Cuidad del Este is just one of those boarder places, full of life and full of mischief. So that’s exactly what we’ll do! We took the road to the international bridge which was crammed full of slow moving traffic, waltzed past the immigration offices and straight into no mans land. Not that this bridge is itself without other unscrupulous persons. As we were crossing we watched while someone walked halfway over the bridge with a box under his arm, placed it on ground and walked back. Another character would come and pick the box up and walk back over to the other side. As amusing as this was we started bartering with the taxi drivers so we wouldn’t become a suspect to immigration charges let alone embroiled in ‘boxes on bridges’ charges.

We made our way back into Brasil and onto Foz do Iguacu. We had heard that the Brasilian side was only worth a quick visit but we found Brasils national park to be a thrill. Parque Nacional do Iguacu’s features walkways built opposite the lion share of the Cataratas on the Argentinean side. Although the network doesn’t go over the waterfalls it gives a panoramic view that kept us mesmerised for hours. Its still possible to get up close and personal with Garganta del Diablo Watch Video and other plateau shelves but the view is what this side is all about. With more activities to do in the surrounding forest and waterways a visit to Brasilian Iguacu shouldn’t be taken with ‘just a view’ in mind.

After we had finished getting soggy and admiring Iguazu from all angles we both agreed that these are the best waterfalls in the world. Between us we have seen all of the ‘great ones’ and none quite measure up to the splendour of Iguazu. Completely impressed with the Cataratas and once again with South America. This continent keeps leaving me amazed and then even more amazed. After over eight months I think that’s pretty ridiculous……….

Full Iguazu, Argentina Photos on Flickr
Full Foz do Iguaçu, Brasil Photos on Flickr

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb