First impressions


Advertisement
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well hello... I have finally made it to a computer. For those of you who are hooked into Rachael's blog, you'll have some idea of our adventures so far, but I have to say that I have found it very easy to stay away from the keyboard, which is a good thing...

Little to be said about the journey(s) to this point, save to say that I have travelled in taxi, plane, local bus, supremo luxury lie down flat on your back bus and today helicopter (!) so suffice to say that I have most of the bases covered.

Day one was in Buenos Aires. We got to our hotel around 8. It didn't look a whole lot like the slick and modern image that we'd seen on the internet, but was in a great location. Stella, on a slightly different itinerary and in a different hotel managed to find ours, but as we were delayed took herself off for a drink. Why were we delayed? Well, R's flight on Lan Chile was slightly late, but I identified the flight and waited patiently by the exit where I'd emerged, feeling pretty smug to be so on to it. Airport seemed pretty small... quite local actually, but no matter. I got a text to say she'd landed and texted back merrily that I was waiting just by the taxi stand. Some time later... "where are you". Increasingly urgent texts to and fro... "by the cafe"... "the McDonald's"... "no the Madeleine"... "that's where I am, where are you?"... "which airport". Eventually we worked out that I wasn't in the main terminal. Thank heavens for technology.

Stella has taken an entirely different approach, no phone, no watch and certainly no computer. Rachael has a small notebook, which is absolutely brilliant and I'm gratefully using it now.

Back to first night, Rachael had done lots of good restaurant research, so we found our way to a local neighbourhood cafe, all stacks of wine bottles and rustic looking tables. We thought we were late going out at 9.45, but realised as we left at 11 that the party was only just starting.

Next day we wandered around main squares etc in BA and then caught our luxury bus (17 hours overnight) to Iguazu. We were early to the bus stop, so bought some cards to pass the time. Rachael has already described our surprise when we opened them. Hints were "Spanish style" and 50 cards. The suits are nothing like we know them, but we have assigned familiar suits to the clubs (of the Pebbles and Bambam kind), shields, knives and trophies... and after trying to deal for 500 discovered that there are no Queens (macho society perhaps), so we've assigned 2s. All makes 500 pretty challenging, but am sure it's good for our brains.

We hooked up with Stella last night and went into town (overstatement) for a meal of steak. The girls ordered barbecue, which would easily have fed a family of 5 for a week... the reputation for being a meat fest is well-earned. I have to say that vegetables and fruit are hard to come by and treasured. I am sure we'll do better, but after 3 meals comprising ham and cheese on the first day, my body is rebelling slightly (don't worry Mum, no Peru-repeat).

Today, big highlight so far. We went to Brazil for the morning (tee hee - another stamp in the passport) and saw the Iguazu falls from that side. We started with a helicopter ride, which was absolutely spectacular. Then followed a 1.2km trail that had stunning panoramas of the falls, which are really mindblowing. Then at the end there are a series of walkways built right out into the river, so you get a really brilliant view. Wet, for sure! But worth it. I bought a lovely plastic bag masquerading as a raincoat, so didn't get too wet. Tomorrow, we will be exploring the Argentinian side, which Stella did yesterday, so she's on a day ahead of us to Bariloche.

Am getting into good relaxed holiday mode. Jetlag is a factor, as there is a weird time difference (possibly not helped by the 2nd night being on a bus), but the tradition of afternoon Nana-naps when I can is helping.

Overall impressions? Actually Argentina feels a lot like NZ. BA is very European feeling - with lovely old buildings. Everywhere we go we've been trying our Spanish. Rachael's is getting pretty good, with full sentences etc, whereas I am still all present-tense and a word here or there, but people appreciate you having a crack. I was really impressed when Rachael managed a full encounter with booking agent for our Iguazu trip tomorrow in Spanish. We'd already sussed out what we wanted and I'm pretty sure he spoke English, but he was happy to let us have a crack. And my comprehension isn't too bad, but speaking not great at all. Again, regretting not having opened a book before I came...

Hope all good at home.

Lots of love

Lucy xx

(PS, tried to load photos, but couldn't get it to work. Will have to check with tech-guru Rachael.)

Advertisement



6th April 2010

Lucy's first blog
Great to get your first impressions- makes sitting down to the computer v exciting. I do envy you the Falls. Will always feel I was cheated of that. All good here Much love Mum
6th April 2010

Great to be travelling with you again!
Perhaps the closest I will get to argentina ... Thanks for a great account ... Sounds wonderful jxxx
7th April 2010

Great to hear Luce - keep up the commentary!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb