The mighty Iguazu Falls!


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey there everyone! The last time we wrote we had just left Buenos Aires and were in Rosario the birth place of Che Guevara and the Argentine flag. After spending a few days there we headed North to Puerto Iguzu, the home of the incredible Iguazu falls! After a 17 hour bus journey we arrived at the small town, which is right on the Brazil and Paraguay boarder.

The town itself was kind of strange, it was a nice place with lots of modern bars and restaurants (which seemed really strange as it was in the middle of no where with dusty streets and rainforest all around) but with no one to to fill them, the place seemed deserted! Our plan was to recover from our long journey that night and head out to explore the falls the next morning, however when we awoke the next day it was pooring with rain, so we had another lazy day and took a walk to see the river which had impressive views of nearby Brazil and Paraguay.

The next day we woke up to lovely sunshine, so we put on our walking shoes, had a yummy breakfast of croisants (free from the hostel) then caught the first bus we could to the falls! We entered the national park and went for an explore. There are three different walks you can do around the park and we decided to do all of them! The first one was around the floor of the jungle were we saw lots of wildlife including Coaties (large racoon like animals), Monkeys, huge Condors and hundreds of brightly coloured butterflies all around! There are also Pumas, Leapords and Tucans in the jungle but they were all hiding the day we went! Before long we came to our first sight of the falls....breathtaking! It was just an amazing view, the white frothy water spilled over the edge of huge cliffs, which were covered in green moss, the sound of the water crashing down, creating rainbows in the sunshine was stunning. As we continued on through the jungle we saw many different views of the falls each as impressive as the last, we finished the first trail then continued on to the second which gave a different perspective of the falls and allowed us to look straight over the edge to see the water crashing down below us!

After a few hours of walking we were starting to get hungry so we hoped on a boat which took us across the river rapids to a small island amoungst the falls with a beach, we had a picnic of bread cheese and salami, then cooled off in the river with the waterfalls just behind us and small fish swimming around our feet. After a little rest we hopped back on the boat and began our final treck, we decided to save the best till last...the Devils throat! I was a bit sceptical and couldn´t believe that any view could be any more impressive than those we had already seen, but after a bit more walking.....there it was! We were standing right at the very top of the largest waterfall, it looked like a huge hole in the side of the earth. The noise of the water crashing down below us was almost deafening and you could barely see Brazil on the opposite side through the mist.

We both agreed that Iguazu falls was one of the most impressive sights we have seen since we have been away and feel very lucky to have seen so many amazing sights.

Since leaving Puerto iguazu we have tavelled almost non-stop for four days through Argentina and across the boarder in to Bolivia, which is where we are now (recovering from lack of sleep!) and will blog from next time.

Stay tuned! Hope you all have a happy easter and enjoy some time off.

We will be in touch soon!

Alice and Ally


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb