Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Rio Iguazu, which feeds the Iguaza water falls, creates a natural border between Brazil and Argentina. So our visit the these huge water falls marked the end of our time in Brazil.

We spent a day on the Brazilian side, walking a nature trail as it made its way along the river to the falls. As we got closer the noise from the smaller falls was drowned out by the torrent of water cascading from the main falls. A metal walk way had been constructed to allow us to walk out, over the top of a smaller water fall and get a glimpse of how things were at the Argentinian side.

The next day we spent the morning crossing the border into Argentina and the afternoon at the national park at the Iguazu falls. We didn't have time to explore much of the park that day, so made our way to the main water falls. Another metal walkway had been constructed but this time it was at the top of the falls and lead right to the edge. Standing at the edge of the immense water fall, looking down, was a strange feeling. There was nothing solid to focus on so even though you were standing still it felt like you were falling. The river below was hidden by a curtain of mist, increasing the disorientation.

Our final day at the falls was spent walking the numerous trails. The smaller, less popular trails were quiet enough for us to see monkeys, wild pig things and plenty of birds. The more popular trails took us to water falls which were much more impressive and accessible than on the Brazilian side.

To complete our time at the falls we went on a speed boat ride that took us under two of the smaller water falls. That fact these water falls were not as big as the main falls shouldn't undermine the huge amount of water involved. As the boat entered the falling water it became impossible to keep our eyes open and everyone was completely soaked. Great fun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Smaller falls with boatSmaller falls with boat
Smaller falls with boat

We took the same boat ride into these falls. Great fun!


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb