Iguazu Falls - 3 days of magic (cheesy but true)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Iguazú National Park
February 18th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

London-BA-Iguazu Falls


Right....finally - my first entry after nearly 3 weeks of travelling all down south in argentina...but if i don't start writing here at the end of the world, i probably never will...but you know travelling is a job in itself, and one has hardly any time. feel like the white rabbit.. (or maybe im just lazy)😊


so, after a really, really long flight to buenos aires via sao paolo i decided not to stay in BA but to head straight to the iguazu falls - that meant after getting off the plane getting straight onto a bus for 20hrs! but beware, the buses here in argentina are fantastic, 180 degrees reclining seats (no, they are actually really comfortable armchairs!), waiters (albeit serving horrible food, mainly dry bread, some kinda meat dish and really, really sweet coffee without milk) and the most fantastic scenery (which disappears from sight rapidly if you're on an overnight bus BUT then the amazing nightsky appears - i've never seen the milkyway as clear and i'm not even in the atacama desert (yet)! 😊


well, after a good night's sleep (didn't get much on the plane) i arrived in puerto iguazu, a little town with only one, big attraction - but it ain't nothin'...as it was already midday i quickly decided (well, the travel agent in my hostel did) that i had to go on a jungle tour, ie a short walk through the forest with a couple of animal traps on the way (just made out of lianas and branches but really powerful. i seem to say 'really' a lot..how annoying). anyways, we then got to a climbing wall where we climbed up (surprisingly) and ziplined down (see photos). that was quite a lot of fun, especially the ziplining! had a fantastic view over the iguazu river (but couldn't see the falls from where we were). then we got down to the river, couple of people had a swim (but not me, no swimsuit and the water looked a bit murky). after quickly landing (illegally) on the brazilian side, we drove further upstream, towards the point where 3 countries meet - argentina, brazil and paraguay (now, everyone, tell me their capitals without looking them up!). then got back to my hostel (where i dipped into the swimming pool at 9pm - yes, a hostel with a swimming pool, haven't found this (so far) again yet - and had a few cocktails with another german girl, sarah.


next day, i followed the herd, and decided to go to the brazilian side of the falls first. this gives you a much better overview, although you don't get as close to most falls, only to the devil's throat, which was amazing. after about 30 min walk a platform was leading into this grandest of great waterfalls - you got quite wet but how could you not be - surrounded by tons and tons of cascading water crashing and splashing down...i got as close to the rainbow as never before, it was literally about 10 meters away! (see photos again) didn't find a pot of gold tho 😊...


next day i went up to the argentinian side - it's much closer to the falls and i actually liked it better. got there early in the morning with the first bus, so the park wasn't buzzing yet with other tourists and argentinian families, picknicking and drinking mate tea...loved the walk which approached the devil's throat from the other side. but before i got there i took a small speedboat and got baptised under the st. martin's waterfall (apparently). that was really cool (literally), although the ride only lasted about 15 minutes!


after (again) being drenched (actually more than the day before, this time i was dripping with water), i went along the long walkway which is spanned across the iguazu river, finally arriving at the devil's throat from the other side (and saw a croc and a few birds on the way). just amazing, the beauty and noise of the water literally takes your breath away! i took a panoramic shot of this with my camera (only found out the day before that the camera had sth like this, but don't know yet how to reassemble the five or so photos into one big picture...hmmm, actually should have looked into my camera's manual before i left). then i had to hurry back to catch my bus back to buenos aires - and literally got it about 5 minutes before it left!


Photos:

Buenos Aires and Puerto Iguazu

and

Iguazu Falls


More about my Journey South (X-Factor anyone?!) soon...need to have dinner (not steak!) now.


ps ive added a couple of you on the subscriber list..you can unsubscribe if you want (to make me feel horrible!) 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb