Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Published: August 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After another 17 hours in yet another bus, we arrived in the tropical north, at the Three Fronteras of Argentina, Paraguay y Brasil. Twelve miles upstream from this border of 3 countries, divided by the convergence of 2 rivers, is the Cataratas of Iguazu, the second largest waterfalls in the world, with sometimes as many as 200 individual falls. On the Argentinean side, open air trains took us through the jungle to an elaborate series of catwalks and footbridges, crossing above different forks of the river, and to the drop off of several of the falls. Garganta del Diablo (The Devil´s Throat) was the first and largest drop we visited in the national park. The sheer force and beauty is indescribable. The misty spray of the falls and the defeaning roar can´t be captured in photos or words. The trees were full of parrots, tucans, cormorants, and other colorful birds. And although we didn´t spot any of the monkeys that are usually hanging around, we did see a little deer and many coatis, the racoon-like creatures that frequent restaurant patios looking for an easy meal, not to mention the hoards of tourists that come from all over the world to see the falls. Later in the afternoon we donned our plastic ponchos and boarded a boat that took us upstream for an up-close look at the falls. Soon our screams were drowned in the cascading wall of water as our boat disappeared beneath the falls.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

3 Fronteras3 Fronteras
3 Fronteras

...from the Argentine side...Paraguay on the left and Brasil on the right


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb