Iguazu Falls - the complete experience!


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Iguazu Falls, Argentina!Iguazu Falls, Argentina!Iguazu Falls, Argentina!

Seen at their best with constant rainbows making for amazing photos!
Day 135 - Day 138 (11.05.07-14.05.07)

The worldwide famous waterfalls that straddle the border of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay were a must-see sight in our south american adventures. Iguazu falls, composed of more than 250 separate falls, that extend over 3km across the river, is amazing to see, and recognised as the world's most dramatic waterfalls.

Keen to fully appreciate these waterfalls, we were to see both sides. First stop was logically Puerto Iguazu, on the Argentinian side.

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina



The Argentinian side, offered a rather more interactive experience, 'wet-and-wild' type thing, where there are bridges leading right under parts of the falls, where you get seriously wet from the spray and feel the intensity of the thunderous downhill falling of water. The falls tumble for 2km from the Rio Iguazu Superior down a 70m cliff to the Rio Iguazu Inferior below. At their heart, is the dizzying 'Devil's Throat' where a powerhouse of natural forces battle each other over the u-shaped cliff edge, forming an immense display of boiling, bouncing, angry waterfalls...the power of this fall is startling, breath-taking even, and also results in a spectator-drenching!

The extensive experience of the
Devil's Throat, the crunch of the fallsDevil's Throat, the crunch of the fallsDevil's Throat, the crunch of the falls

Powerful terrential waterfall!!! soo impressive!
falls is increased, by the well-thought out trails and catwalks taking you both below and above different sections of the falls - also for more wet thrills, should you wish which of course we did, you take a boat tour right underneath the falling water, where the driver takes joy in thoroughly soaking you, almost tipping the boat and the water is soo powerful and hard that it is impossible to see or think when under it!! But it had to be done, all in the name of experience!

The national park protecting the waterfalls, is a tropical paradise, a nature reserve full of wildlife and plantlife...out in full form were the cheeky coatis, monkeys, lizards, iguanas, butterflies of all sizes, little guinea pigs, parrots, macaws and loads of birds...and though we didn't see any...there were puma's hiding around somewhere!

Foz do Iguacu, Brazil



Hopping across the border, into Brazil the next day, which was actually more time consuming than imagined though it is only short distance, but we made it... we just had to see the Brazillian side of this world-wide-wonder!

Offering a panoramic view of the whole of the waterfall from one
Devil's Throat!Devil's Throat!Devil's Throat!

one of the biggest bits of the falls
end to the other, Foz de Iguacu on the Brazilian side is a completely different experience to the Argentianan side - and they go hand-in-hand for a exhaustive and fulfilling experience of Iguazu Falls!

Not as big as its neighbour, the brazilian-sides trail walks you along the entire view of the falls, so it is possible to see the falls we saw the day before from a distance and in the whole-some form. It is at this point, that you become aware of the size and scale of this incredible waterfall, something not easily comprehendable no matter how famous it is, and absolutley amazing to see!

There are wet-opportunities here on the brazilian side also, offerring really great view points but not soo good for taking photos! Including getting really close to a side view of a bit of the falls in its earliest stage, one of the biggest drops, where there is also a glass-lift up to a platform overlooking the falls, a wierd experience to travel up by lift next to the falling water....very cool though!

The falls, are unquestionnably recognised as one of the world's great natural phenomena, and have to be seen in the flesh to fully understand and appreciate their immenseness!! From here we were happy to be back in Brazil again, next stop The Pantanal!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

View of the falls from the walkwayView of the falls from the walkway
View of the falls from the walkway

following the trail, we got several views at different points of the walkway...this was just one of many!!
Trees full of monkeys!Trees full of monkeys!
Trees full of monkeys!

the tropical trees surrounding the park were full of wildlife inc these inquisitive monkeys!
Cheeky Coatis, Scavengers!Cheeky Coatis, Scavengers!
Cheeky Coatis, Scavengers!

these scavengers stole food from people coming out of the cafe, and can be quite vicious in their quest for food!
Friendly ButterflyFriendly Butterfly
Friendly Butterfly

this butterfly, one of millions, took a liking to my cheek....wouldn't fly off for anything!
One of the million butterfliesOne of the million butterflies
One of the million butterflies

...attracted to Kate's new rose ring!!
Tropical paradise WaterfallTropical paradise Waterfall
Tropical paradise Waterfall

another amazing view point, soo cool to see!
Power of God!Power of God!
Power of God!

intense soaking from the tumbling water, couldn't stay here for long!
Spot the boat!Spot the boat!
Spot the boat!

This boat trip would later be us....getting a soaking under the waterfall!
Foz de Iguacu, Brazilian sideFoz de Iguacu, Brazilian side
Foz de Iguacu, Brazilian side

view from across the river, on the brazilian side, day 2!
Foz de Iguacu, Brazilian side - Full view of the famous waterfall!Foz de Iguacu, Brazilian side - Full view of the famous waterfall!
Foz de Iguacu, Brazilian side - Full view of the famous waterfall!

....well as much as we could fit in the frame of our camera, it is immense, so much wider than you would ever imagine!
Up close and personal, Foz de Iguacu, BrazilUp close and personal, Foz de Iguacu, Brazil
Up close and personal, Foz de Iguacu, Brazil

yet another christening from this waterfall, brazil this time!


19th June 2007

Madame Butterfly
Hey guys glad you enjoyed the easter island!! Cute pics, love the one with the butterflies... was it not scary... but guess they are nice!!! LOVE YOU!!!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb