That´s some big bloody waterfalls!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Iguazú National Park
December 20th 2006
Published: December 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Iguazu FallsIguazu FallsIguazu Falls

Some of the smaller falls
We spent a few days recovering from our Patagonian hike in Buenos Aires, before heading north to Iguazu Falls. Iguazu Falls is seriously one of the most amazing things i have ever seen in my life. I don´t know the facts on how much water tips over these rocks every minute, or anything like that, but it was just phenomonal. They straddle the Argentinian/Brazilian/Paraguayan borders, with the major tourist centres being Puerto Iguazu in Argentina, and Foz De Iguacu in Brazil. We decided to stay on the Argentinian side, as it is supposedly cheaper and the falls from that side are much better for viewing.

The day we went to the falls broke clear and sunny, however as we were in the tropics, this was open to change very quickly. And change it did. 3 times during the day the heavens opened, and everyone and everything got drenched. The last time the rains came, at around 3pm, they didn´t stop so the last few hours of our day were slightly miserable.

There are numerous cat walks and tracks that you follow around the Argentinian side of the falls, and you do truly get extremely close to the action. The
Iguazu FallsIguazu FallsIguazu Falls

Another of the smaller falls
highlight of the day for us though was the boat ride that we went on, which took us under some of the falls (subsequently getting drenched in the meantime), and then followed the rapids back to a basecamp. It went for around 30 mins or so, and was such a good insight into how strong some of these waterfalls are, and just how much water pours over them!

Last stop for the day, after the boat ride, numerous hikes, and swimming in the water as the rain pissed down around us, was the trek to the Devil´s Throat. This is the major attraction of the park, and rightly so, as the sheer power of this waterfall is incredible. The catwalks that you follow around it go so close to the edge that it is hard to fathom how they built them in the first place, and in fact, some had been washed away in a flood about 15 years earlier. I would not have wanted to be there for that!

It was a top day out, apart from the weather. We had a couple more days where we just chilled out around the town, and then we made
Iguazu FallsIguazu FallsIguazu Falls

Another of the smaller falls
our way down to Florianopolis for Christmas. I will write more about this place later, but let me just say that it was a great place to spend Chrissy when you are away from your family and friends.

I hope everyone had a cracker of a Christmas, and i hope that New Years is a blast as well.

Miss you all....



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Iguazu FallsIguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls

Getting bigger.....
Iguazu FallsIguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls

Getting bigger.....
Iguazu FallsIguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls

Best photo of the trip so far - looks fake but its not. Standing in the pouring rain at the Devil´s Throat.


30th December 2006

Sickness have a good nye too mate
31st December 2006

hey mate how are you doing? Looks like you are still having a blast which is great to see. Love the pic of you and josh, but it does look fake!!!! Well we are getting ready for new years, hopefully it is a good night but i hate new years it normally turns into a shitty night. Well what do you guys have planned for new years? When are you catching up with sara? Anyway all the best mate, miss ya love ya, cheers andrew, mate say hi to josh for me and tell him i hope he is having the time of his life.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb