Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Published: November 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a 14 hour bus ride from Florianopolis we arrived in Foz de Iguazu. The Iguazu falls are situated more or less on the border between Brazil and Argentina. Paraguay sis also not too far away.

When we arrived in Foz de Iguazu we decided to cross staight over into Puerto Iguazu (on the Argentinian side) where there was reportedly the best Hostel in Argentina.

We got a cab across the border and passed without trouble into Argentina. Arriving ath the hostel at about 8:30 we were greeted by a quite rude Argentinian which tainted our initial and overal impression of the hostel which itself was quite nice with good facilities. It seems the employees are overworked and too busy as a few people had problems with the staff.

Admittedly we didnt help the situation by asking him straight away in Portugese if he spoke English!

Anyway, shortly after arrival we were on the bus again to go to the falls without much rest, or breakfast.

We also had very little money and had to wangle our way through the Falls Park entrance to use the ATM. Seemingly Stacey is a fairly good bargaining chip.

Anyway the Falls...

Amazing awasome and many other superlatives too.

The sheer scale of the main Devils Throat means its extremely hard to capture on camera. The noise is incredible and the immence power is quite overwhelming. It is very hard to describe and any photos do not really do it justice.

There are a number of trails around the park which is now very well equipped for tourists, and allows you to get very close to the water.

The next day we went back again, the weathere was better and we revisited the main site aswell and all the other trails.

We met up with Andrew (NZ), Alison (NZ), Bronwin (Aus), Jennifer (US), Bronwin (SA) and Alex (Aus) had a few drinks and wrote some constructive comments in the Hostels comment book...

The next day we left the hostel and stayed in a Hotel (St George) next to the bus station in Puerto Iguazu. We managed to haggle our way down from 240 pesos to 120 pesos for the night which was only 6 pesos more than the hostel and included a great pool, sauna, jacuzzi gym etc... That night Bronwin (Aus), Alex and Jennifer kindly came into town to meet us for dinner.

We left the next day at 8pm for 22 hrs to Tucuman.






Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

On the park train to the Devils ThroatOn the park train to the Devils Throat
On the park train to the Devils Throat

This is the biggest section
Rio IguazuRio Iguazu
Rio Iguazu

1 section of the river with the water calmly idleing along 0 little does it know whats in store for it...
WaterfallsWaterfalls
Waterfalls

This is looking back down the river - the land on the otherside is Brazil
Yellow ButterfliesYellow Butterflies
Yellow Butterflies

You cant really tell but all the yellow dots are butterflies 0 thousands of them


23rd November 2006

The Falls
Photos look great - hmm i think i need to add these falls to my list of places to go and see.... i suspect my list will get even longer as we watch your travels! X
26th November 2006

Wow
Looks absolutely amazing. Noel isn't happy that you claim to have never heard of the Iguazu falls. Mentioned something along the lines of "see, he never listens..." He wonders if you've heard of the Inca Trail? Joking apart, would love to go there. It looks utterly incredible but Noel has already been so may have to go by myself :-( Or maybe Jule will come with me as she seems up for it????...love ya both and take care over there. Ems and Nolly xox
3rd December 2006

WOW!
Wow - that looks bloody amazing. They were in that bbc christmas book last year titled '100 places to see before you die' or was it 10? Can't remember. love love xxx

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb