Mendoza: The Land of Vino Tinto and Aceituna (red wine and olives)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
May 20th 2009
Published: May 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Gelado!Gelado!Gelado!

Gali, Dani
Our journey continues West from Buenos Aires to the city of Mendoza.

We traveled there overnight like Kings and Queens of old in the royal suite class. Better than first class on a plane! The bus seats recline fully, hot and cold meals are served and blankets are provided. Be warned, the bus gets very cold so bring an extra layer or two. ($228 (pesos))

The other two classes are cama and coche cama. Cama is similar to what we have in North America with greyhound. No services, no legroom and very little reclining. Coche cama is a step up with more leg room and the possibility of reclining almost 3/4 of the way.

Upon our arrival in Mendoza we walked through the center of the city. The downtown center has five plazas with Plaza Independencia in the middle of a cube like formation. A nice walk but nothing to exciting!

The next day was the highlight of this region! We left our hostel and headed for the number 10 bus on our way to Maipu where the vineyards are located. The buses in Mendoza are different than most other places I've used public transport since there
LamaLamaLama

Gali
is more than 1 route for the number 10 bus. In order to head to the vineyards, you want the 172 or 173. You will see this to the left of the driver, by the door of the bus. On the bus we met Dore, Bert and Paul who we ended up spending the day with.

The bus driver let us off at a small, sketchy house with bikes outside. The 'owner' of the bike rental 'company' was no older than 16 but this mattered not since he was helpful in setting us up and showing us the route. The bikes cost $20 (pesos) for the day.

We followed the tour of the vineyards. (1 olive, 4 wine, 1 chocolate) The highlights were the wine (of course), the cheese plate we shared at the final winery we visited and the neighboring Andes that filled the landscape all day. Breathtaking!

In the evening we dined at a truly authentic local restaurant. My steak was good but the other dishes ordered were....SCARY! 3 Irish guys joined us (Kevin, Donal, Dominic) and they bet me $100 (pesos) I wouldn't finish the veggie appetizer. +$100 for Seth! It was gross!
LamaLamaLama

Dani

The next day we were off to San Augustin de Valle Fertil.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DinnerDinner
Dinner

Seth, Gali
PeroPero
Pero

Seth, Pero
BikingBiking
Biking

Dani, Gali
BikingBiking
Biking

Seth
BikingBiking
Biking

Bert, Paul
Olive FactoryOlive Factory
Olive Factory

Gali, Bert, Seth, Paul, Dore
VineyardsVineyards
Vineyards

Seth, Gali
VineyardsVineyards
Vineyards

Gali, Seth
VineyardsVineyards
Vineyards

Ncik, Crispin, Gali, Dani
VineyardsVineyards
Vineyards

Dore, Gali, Bert, Paul, Daniel, Seth
VineyardsVineyards
Vineyards

Dani, Dore, Gali
GrossnessGrossness
Grossness

Soon Seth's Belly
The ParkThe Park
The Park

Gali, Seth


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb