Mendoza Wine Tour


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
May 7th 2008
Published: May 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

1977 Vintage Malbec1977 Vintage Malbec1977 Vintage Malbec

What a fine year for producing everything!!!!!
The wine tour was a very educational and fun day and although we had a perfect blue sky once more we were oblivious to it from the depths of the underground cellars.
It was a mixed group of Americans, Israelis, French, Dutch and 1 Argentinean. So much to the amusement of the local Argentinean he spent the day listening to broken English speaking guides in his own country.
We visited 4 wineries with a huge contrast between the old family run wineries with their cellars and old french oak barrels and the ultramodern stainless steel vats with artificial temperature controlled processes. No wine tour would be complete without a french flavour and our french friend was a great guy and full of fascinating information contrasting the Argentinean wine making process and grapes to France. He led the charge by purchasing several bottles in each of the first few vineyards ("presents for the family" yeah right!)
It was a fun group although a little conservative so the day was mainly spent educating our taste buds and increasing our knowledge. Call us strange or even excessive but unlike everyone else on our tour we thought it would be a given that after a morning of learning about the local wines, that a red wine would be the logical accompaniment with the fine Argentinean beef we had for lunch. So snubbing the majority vote we happily sat as outliers as we drunk our lovely bottle of Malbec while everyone else around us drank coke and water.
Other than wineries we also visited the local chocolate and liquor farm (a highlight to Leannes day!) and an olive oil factory which opened our eyes to the complexity of the golden liquid you throw in the frying pan. Really interesting! So all in all a great day of over indulgence. So having had a sleepless night travelling to Santiago (including an extremely painful boarder crossing) we are looking forward to flying to Easter Island this afternoon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

OrganicOrganic
Organic

Are they growing grapes or weeds?
Wine tastingWine tasting
Wine tasting

only a taste mind!
Lemon TreeLemon Tree
Lemon Tree

Nice spot to sleep after a hard day
VineyardVineyard
Vineyard

Yet another one


Tot: 0.522s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.4718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb