A tale of two cities


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
April 7th 2008
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

26th March
Back in Argentina, we camp in a city called Mendoza. As it was affected by an earthquake years ago a lot of plazas have been built there for an escape if there is another eathquake. Mendoza is also famous for it's wine! Becki, Tasha and I hire bikes and go for a ride around the city and try and find some vineyards. Unfortunately the wineries we pass seem closed and so we don't manage to go on a tour around them. However, the ride is fun enough as we are driving down the main streets and trying to avoid all the traffic! Quite a scary experience! As we did not go to any wineries we decide to find a nice bar and drink some Mendozian wine!

29th March
We go to Cordoba which is Argentina's second largest city after Buenos Aires. That night a few of us go to a sushi restaurant. Now i know what you're thinking...what is a vegan doing in a sushi restaurant?...but they had a vegan meal called vegetarian maki and it was lovely. It was really well presented, rice and veg all pushed inside a case that I think was aubergine. On the Sunday I wander around the city but most things are closed. I manage to find a art museum with an impressive grand staircase and the cathedral. Also there was a crafts fair that was really good.

31st March
We set off to leave Cordoba but have to turn back because there are road blockades that we can't get through. This is due to a farmers strike and protest about the government increasing taxes on grain and dairy products and this would mean that the farmers would pay 50% of their income to the government. We go back to Cordoba for a few hours before trying again. This time we are let through the blockade, as we are only transporting gringos! We drive to a campsite, a stop off place for one night but it is miserable as there are lots of mosquitos.

The cities have been ok but I am ready to move onto some smaller places and do some more interesting things.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb