Studentsville (& English Woe)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Córdoba
July 2nd 2006
Published: July 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Córdoba, Argentina's second largest city (1.3million peeps), was our second stop. It was founded in the mid-16th century and named after the Spanish city of the same name. It is also home to the continent's oldest university, established by the Jesuits in 1613 and hence the town has a distinct studenty feel - typically rising later in the morning and partying into the early hours.

We stayed in Nueva Córdoba (the new town), a large district full of places to eat, drink and party. It is a very young and vibrant area and on Saturday night is teeming with raucous, vocal and extremely intoxicated students (and travellers).

Our first demand, was a good spot to watch the England vs Portugal game and we were in luck with our choice of hostel, which sported a big telly room which at the allotted hour turned into a home away from home, with a big "Three Lions" army convening there. Only one Norhern Irish guy (evidently bitter and envious) was supporting Portugal in typically anti-English fashion. We did have the support of the Dutch though - they wanted us to exact some revenge for their bitter disappointment at having been dealt "the go home" card by the Portuguese, in the previous round. We were also sure that Daniel Bedingfield was being Portuguese for the day, had grown his hair into a pathetically wispy and alice banded mullet and was playing under the guise of Maniche!

Well, I don't need to tell you what happened, we don't need to replay that tragedy again. Suffice to say, our Northern Irish friend was nearly flattened for his excessive cheering and "rubbing it in" attitude, after the game! The whole affair put a bit of a dampener on affairs, only time proved to be a healer in this circumstance.

Unfortunately, just to make matters worse, Laura went down with another dodgy tummy bout. It stared straight after the game and so may have been a physiological response to the emotional woe she was feeling post-match. So for the 6th time of the trip so far, I had a day going solo which culminated with a "table for one" - truly embarrassing since I inappropriately chose to take dinner in a romantic candle-lit couples restaurant. To make matters worse I told my waitress that I was a little "embarazado" - a false friend to English
Travelling in StyleTravelling in StyleTravelling in Style

Oh yeah baby - loving the bed buses!
speakers who are not embarrassed as they think but are in fact claiming to be pregnant!!! Still, the food was fantastic and I had my first real taste of the famous 2-3" thick steaks for which this country is renowned.

To be brutally honest, Córdoba, pleasant as is isn't that exciting or inspiring so Laura didn't miss much. There's plenty of nice architecture, a few nice green areas and some sight-seeing opportunities but it's limited. When Laura recovered we did do a bit of roaming and dropped in on the city's art museum but again, it being a weekend (and not for the first time) meant we stumbled upon a city that was generally closed for business. Our three days in Córdoba will not be remembered for good reasons but for the anguish and grievance we felt after being unceremoniously dumped out of the World Cup by a crap side, in Portugal!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Vegetarians Look Away Now!Vegetarians Look Away Now!
Vegetarians Look Away Now!

A famous Argentinian lump of steak - melt in the mouth - perfectly cooked - mmmm!
Vélez Sársfield StatueVélez Sársfield Statue
Vélez Sársfield Statue

Argentina's famous writer and politician who wrote the country's civil code.
Cathedral by DayCathedral by Day
Cathedral by Day

The blackening of the stonework is caused by traffic and industry pollution - it was only cleaned about ten years ago!
Church of the Society of JesusChurch of the Society of Jesus
Church of the Society of Jesus

In the Jesuit block, a UNESCO world heritage site as of 2000.
Jeronimo Luis de CabreraJeronimo Luis de Cabrera
Jeronimo Luis de Cabrera

Córdoba's founder
CabildoCabildo
Cabildo

The impressive colonial government building on the main plaza.
Basilica Santo DomingoBasilica Santo Domingo
Basilica Santo Domingo

With its crazy pink and blue colour scheme.
Laura Nods OffLaura Nods Off
Laura Nods Off

In front of the statue of the liberator of Argentina (amongst others), General San Martin.
Admiring the Mueseum InteriorAdmiring the Mueseum Interior
Admiring the Mueseum Interior

As much a work of art as everything it contains.


Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 35; qc: 165; dbt: 0.1812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb