When it rains in South America ...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Córdoba
March 1st 2007
Published: March 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Don´t cry for me Argentina .... in other words stop the rain it´s not fair.

So, it´s boiling hot as we cross the border over into Argentina. We´re all excited as we journey forward to our next adventure. A quick stop at San Ignacio to see the Jesuit Ruins, then off trucking again.

Mmmh, the leaders try to find a campsite on route to Cordoba (border crossing and journey takes 2 days driving). We find one but half way up the track, narrowly missing a few wandering cows, we come across a teeney weeney wooden bridge that won´t hold a 16 tonne truck. Oh. We have to reverse back down the track, narrowly mising the cows, and get back on the road.

As it´s getting dark we pick a layby to set up camp in. Looks ok, enough trees to powder my nose behind so we set up camp and are all jolly getting tea ready. Unfortunately shortly after taking these pics the mosquitoes came out to play. I don´t want to play and squirt myself with deet. They insist they are still playing so all of us are using each others deet and covering ourselves head to foot. Still no good, the buggers are just too lively. We manage to eat while jumping round the layby shouting "ow you b*st*rds". Quickly wash up and jump in our tents at a respectable 9pm. I count the damage. 10 bites on each of my lower legs and 30, yes 30 on EACH shoulder making a grand total of 80 bites in the space of half an hour. I am a little upset by this as I´m stinging from head to foot. I smother myself in tiger balm and spend all night paranoid switching my torch on swearing I can hear more mossies coming to eat me. I think this is perhaps my worst night on the trip. But as we say on the truck "it´s all part of the adventure". Mmmh, I won´t comment on that.

As you can imagine there were 13 very sore and unhappy people in the morning. We pack up the tents and set off to Cordoba. It starts raining, and i mean RAINING. Sorry about the camera shake on some of the pictures but the truck was moving and the thunderclouds were making it dark. This scene does not bode well for our next campsite but we try not to think about that and giggle at the man on a pushbike up to his waist and the madman on a scooter.

When we reach the new campsite (thankfully dry and not flooded), about 4pm, there is a party going on and our spirits lift and all head into town, a convoy of frogs (4 bright green taxis). Wandering round I accost a few fellow companions off my truck and drag them into the nearest bar ... in the shopping mall?!? After a well earned beer we decide to have a little bar crawl, we only make it to the first bar hahahaha. Thankfully we had a great time, made it back to the campsite just in time for dinner (nearly got in trouble) and carried on the beer tradition.

The weather report says Buenos Aires is flooded and towns are being evacuated. Our next destination is the Estancia where we are to horse ride for 2 days. This is what made me pick this particular trip. We are told the roads may be washed away and we may not be able to go. I am gutted. Will we make it?


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Camping on route ...Camping on route ...
Camping on route ...

... In a layby
Flooded engine?Flooded engine?
Flooded engine?

Prat on a scooter, hats off though he made it through
CordobaCordoba
Cordoba

At last we reach the campsite


9th March 2007

Nibbles
Heya misses :-) Loving the journals ... even in the middle of somewherefaraways-ville you manage it *claps* All those bites eh! Well, I guess you're an attractive target - oh matron, LOL. Keep up the good work, you're a regular Judith Chalmers ain't ya! Take care. K. x.
13th March 2007

Your'e getting wet, your'e getting wet........
Watcha mate, how is it going? well apart from being soaking wet. While you have had all that rain, N'pton has been basking in lovely sunshine!ha ha ha honest! Hope all is well with you and that you are still having a fab time. Steve T.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb