Cordoba via a few hours back in Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Córdoba » Córdoba
April 7th 2013
Published: April 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

2 Cordoba (1)2 Cordoba (1)2 Cordoba (1)

Man on a horse
Back in Argentina again

7/4/13 Santiago to Buenos Aires to Cordoba

Another early start as our flight was at 8.30am and we had to be there 2 hours beforehand. It only took 2 hours to get to Buenos Aires but as they wouldn’t check our bags right through to Cordoba we had to mess around collecting them and then trying to find somewhere we could leave them until our next flight at 6.30pm.

We finally found out that the Information Desk could sort this and after filling in a form, waiting for a security guard who then led us through the airport to an xray machine, scanning the bags, then leading us further on and out to a tin hut in a car park where the bags were tagged and stored we were free of them. Mind there was 3 prices for storage, small, medium and large and our rucksacks were declared large despite being half the size of some of the suitcases in there!

Next we found the bus stop to get into the city and for about 50p got to the station, where we caught the subway up to the Plaza de Mayo and the San Telmo market, all of which would have been a nightmare with the rucksacks so despite getting ripped off for storage it was worth it.

We wandered the length of the market and bought a painted sign that I had wanted last time we were here and a top so at least tomorrow I can have something clean to wear! We entered an absolute warren of antique stalls in a huge warehouse type building and managed to find a loo which was a relief. Then had lunch with the locals at a small stall with stools round the counter and the food being cooked on a camping type stove! Well everyone else was having steak and chips so I reckoned it would have been rude not to follow suit and it was delicious.

Retracing our steps we got back to the airport, found the tin hut, got our bags back and joined the massive queues for check in. The staff suddenly started calling out for passengers for a flight that was obviously leaving soon and this bloke flounced to the front accompanied by his assistant laden down with camera equipment who he was bossing about. It was really
2 Cordoba 2 Cordoba 2 Cordoba

Inside Iglesia Catedral
funny as the ticket staff refused to accept it there, he then beckoned for someone and this woman in gigantic spiked platform stilletos tottered over with her obviously enhanced bust and wearing sunglasses – we reckon she must have been a model or perhaps porn star?!!! But it did him no good and he got sent off, with the rest of us sniggering! At least these little incidents liven up the day.

The flight landed in Cordoba at 9pm and with no sign of any buses we had to take a taxi into the city, which was a very long way off. The Garden Hotel where we stayed was in a pedestrianized street which caused some confusion but we got there and checked in. Henrique on the desk was lovely, spoke good English and told us where the supermarket was so we could get a drink as everywhere else was shut, apart from an ice cream stall and a small pavement market selling knock off dvds and under wear.

8/4/13 Cordoba

The hotel breakfast was in a café a block away which was odd but fine. Then commenced the trek to find somewhere to print out our bus tickets for the next day, the hotel gave us directions (but didn’t offer to do it which I thought was a bit tight of them) but as the morning receptionist didn’t speak English it was a bit confused. Needless to say we couldn’t find it, I asked several people who all directed us in very fast Spanish but we were clearly in the right area, still no sign, in the end I went into a computer shop to ask and the guy on the desk just did it for us and wouldn’t accept any money for it which was so nice of him.

Then we started to see the sights, it is a really nice city, really clean and the old area is lovely. There was a big square with a statue of a man on a horse and surrounding it were the old Jesuit buildings and the cathedral all in a kind of pinky sandstone.

The Iglesia Catedral was very plain on the outside but beautifully decorated inside, with lots of fabulous painted walls and ceilings. It wasn’t too ornate and covered in gold and had a lovely serene feeling, I really liked it.

We also visited the Jesuit church but as a service was taking place we didn’t stay long and then wandered about the Jesuit University. We also walked miles as usual and came across an art gallery with mad sculptures outside it, a fantastic gothic church and then the Artesans Quarter but as per usual everything was closed (no idea why).

On the way back I went for a look in an Indian shop (clothes were mega bucks) and got talking to the owner who at the end of our chat told me that Margaret Thatcher was dead, I had to get him to repeat it again then I did a little dance, hoorayed and punched the air – he looked totally bemused, I guess that wasn’t the reaction he expected, I just said ‘she was evil’ by way of explanation.

So after that bit of excitement we had an ice cream to celebrate and carried on wandering, streets, markets and stalls.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



13th April 2013

You are always in the right place at the right time.....first you are in Easter Island at Easter and then you are in Argentina when Maggie croaks it! incredible timing lol xx oh, and Cordoba looks beautiful too!
18th April 2013

Ha ha yes!
13th April 2013
2 Cordoba (13)

WOW!
That has to be one of the most beautiful buildings I've seen amongst your photographs, right up there with the one in Ethiopia xx
18th April 2013
2 Cordoba (13)

Yes it was incredible, loved it!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb