Cordoba and the Sierras


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Córdoba » Córdoba
January 2nd 2013
Published: January 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Now travelling independently caught a coach inland (using some very basic Spanish along with some fluent pointing), across the flat pampas for 10 hours to Argentina's second city Cordoba - a relaxed university city with Jesuit buildings in centre. A morning sitting in the sun listening to local buskers was contrasted with a sobering visit to museum to the thousands of disappeared during the military rule in the 70s set in the old police station. Headed out of the city into the nearby mountains, staying at the pleasant resort town of La Cumbre with its fine Heladeria (ice cream shops). Next day did a very hot hike up the 2000m Cerro Uritorco mountain, famed for its UFO visits (not making it up - have a look on wikipedia - also just missed day it was closed due to Facebook mass suicide plan...), for some fab views and lots of photos. A relaxed multi-national New Year BBQ back in a Cordoba hostel was followed by a visit to the town of Alta Gracia where Che Guevara grew up - in a surprisingly middle-class area with golf club at end of road...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Alta GraciaAlta Gracia
Alta Gracia

More world heritage...


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb