Into the Great Wide Open: Driving Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut
December 12th 2007
Published: January 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

111

Just across the border crossing from Coyhaique Alto in Chile, heading east to Rio Mayo. This is the main "highway".
We had originally planned to drive from Bariloche to El Calafate via the Carretera Austral and Ruta 40 but everywhere we went, when we told people of our plans, everyone looked at us like we were crazy. The rental car people. The border control people. The hosteria people. Finally, we decided to follow everyone's advice and travel from Coyhaique to El Calafate via Rio Mayo and Sarmiento, and along the coastal road Ruta 3 through Comodoro Rivadavia, Caleta Olivia, Tres Cerros, Puerto San Julian, and Rio Gallegos.

When I was originally planning this trip, it seems I was unaware of some pretty important info. Like how super-HUGE Argentina really is. And how all the maps I saw in the guidebooks and that I bought in the U.S. seemed to make it seem that all the roads were really nice when they were, in fact, little more than dirt trails that stretched for hundreds of kilometers through completely empty country. No houses, no phones, no gas stations, no people. No nothing except for a few sheep and the odd guanaco here and there. I was also to find out, after buying a map that was actually produced in Argentina, that there
222

Patagonia: The Big Empty
is only ONE paved road in southern Argentina that runs north to south and only a couple of paved roads that run east to west. I had had no idea...

So, we ended up driving hundreds of kilometers out of the way but actually ended up saving loads of time. The only unanswered question I was left with was that with all that wide open empty space, straight highways and sparse traffic, why was it that I only came upon a slow-moving truck that I wanted to pass only when there was a curve, a hill, and traffic coming from the other direction?


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

33
3

Even though we changed our plans to largely avoid the gravel roads, they were impossible to completely avoid. We traveled for hundreds of kilometers on them...
44
4

Guanacos!!!
55
5

Ruta 3-----never any traffic-----until you want to pass!!!
66
6

This is just after Ruta 40 runs into Ruta 11, east of El Calafate. That's Lago Argentino in the distance.
77
7

Looking east from the same viewpoint. After driving in realitively flat areas for several hours, the drop into this valley makes for a very dramatic and spectacular view.
88
8

The view of the mountains headed towards Perito Moreno glacier.
99
9

The view of the mountains over El Chalten.
1010
10

Heading into El Chalten
1111
11

Lorena's natural state during our days of driving...
1212
12

...and mine
1313
13

Ruta 20 near Facundo
1414
14

Ruta 20 near Facundo
1515
15

Sheep drive near Gobernador Costa on a paved section of Ruta 40...


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb