Pseudo National Geographic Photographer


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Puerto Madryn
March 27th 2006
Published: March 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Visited the Península Valdés in Patagonia, a World Heritage Site nominated in 1999. It is the home to elephant seals, sea lions and southern right whales (but not in season) and we can get a chance to see a wide array of wildlife.

We joined a tour with with 3 other people from our hostel, two from NZ and one from Scotland. Along the way, we had to spot for wildlife like guanocos (a specie of llama), patagonia hare, armadillos, road-runners etc etc amidst dry bushes. Someone spotted llamas shortly after we enter the reserve. So happy that I finally get to see llamas (Wee2, I finally found you).

One of the ¨KPIs¨ to achieve¨was orca (commonly known as killer whales, the biggest kind of dolphins). They do not come often but it must be a lucky day for us cos we saw at least 3 orcas. The guide said the last time she saw was a month ago and we heard that some photographers actually waited for weeks to spot one. It was pretty fun standing by shore, enduring the strong wind, spotting the orca´s fin above water and waiting for it to swim close to shore. The reason for orcas to swim to shore is to hunt for food - the sea lions on shore. It sounds a bit cruel but people were waiting for it to swim up, grab a sea lion and waddle back into the water. Though we didn´t get to see that, we were happy enough to be able to spot their fins and some parts of their body.

Just when we were ready to get back to our van, we saw an amarillo running around the carpark. It´s so cute, cos of it´s grey armour, it looks like a walking-seed. Next we went to see some penquins and elephant seals. It was really amazing to just stand from the shore and observe these animals, not forgetting to mention the beautiful shoreline. So of course I just kept snapping and snapping away on my camera. Felt like a photographer from National Geographics today 😊





Advertisement



4th April 2006

woah!!!!
killer whales are considered dolphins ah? so weird..... wah very lucky leh see alot of exotic animals..... very sian mu.....;"))

Tot: 0.514s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 72; dbt: 0.4225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb