Day 6 - The Long and Winding Road


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Puerto Madryn
March 28th 2010
Published: April 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The alarm went of at 6:20am as it has for the past few days and we began our 3 day bus journey (1900km) to the end of the world (Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world). The group bonded a bit more over airing our concerns about our driver - don’t get me wrong he is lovely and very knowledgeable but the reason we’ve been arriving at campsites so late is through some poor decisions and unprofessionalism, including taking a detour to pick up an old friend so she could hitch a ride with us and spend some time with him. This became a problem when we all sat on the truck waiting to leave at the arranged time and spent an hour waiting for him to say his goodbyes to her, all glaring at him out of the window. We all spoke to the tour leader who will be having words with him. Good to get it off our chests and realise we were all in the same boat, all feeling frustrated. I anticipated a slower pace of life in South America, and certainly delays, but not on an organised tour!

Anyway, eventually we got on our way and for hours and hours passed through nothing but flat and arid scrubland, a vast emptiness stretching as far as the eye could see. This transitioned into more undulating desert like landscape over which we saw a beautiful sunset and soon arrived at a gorgeous campsite with HOT showers! I was on cooking duty and Chris on washing up, and we enjoyed Taryn´s Patagonian wine ("Postales del fin del mundo"). Our earliest night so far, 11:30pm followed by our earliest start - 5am!

Chris’s Corner

Tonight was scheduled as a free camp but we were treated to the luxury of a campsite after a quick trip to a supermarket to stock up on provisions. Sophie and I opted for the Argentinean traditional diet of potato chips, muffins, chocolate and flagons of water! The camp, surrounded by trees and hills, protected us from the often vicious wind and encouraged us, Mahnee, Lucia and Andrew to go for a post-dinner climb and explore.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb