Frisky sealions and cute baby owls


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Puerto Madryn
December 23rd 2019
Published: December 23rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

How do you like my photo of the baby burrow owls hiding by the side of the road and taken through the window of the bus? Mum or Dad was sitting totally unconcerned on the top of a tree/bush nearby.

From Puerto Madryn we took a trip out to the wild and woolly Valdes Peninsula where there is only salty water, wind, less rain that the Sahara, scrub and some unusual animals. Scrawny merino sheep live there for only 6 or 7 years as their teeth wear down eating the tough grasses and scrub. Llama-like guanacos and emu-like rheas roam freely as do the sheep. The sheep are rounded up once a year for shearing. A strange looking large hare, which is really a rodent, was found lying in the shade under a bush.

We were told to dress up warmly with hats and scarves but the day turned out to be exceptionally warm, a low of 22 and a high of 29! On a not too flash bus we travelled nearly 70 kms on a rough metal road for two hours each way to get to the north point of the Valdes Peninsula to see sea elephants, lions and seals.

The Sea Elephants were just lazing around in the sun while the male Sea Lions were quite frisky. Their roar sounds just like a lion and their mane is quite thick. The seals were just being seals frolicking around in the water and arguing with one another.

On the way we called in at the tiny village (pop 500) of Puerto Pyramide to collect our lunch boxes. Included was what Ian would call an oggi, similar to a Cornish pasti, also filled with vegetables, mainly spinach. It was very tasty.

There is a tidal range of 6-7 metres and many people come to Puerto Madryn, population 100,000, for the summer, the water temperature being 18-19 degrees, quite warm enough for swimming. When we arrived the tide was only halfway out and when we returned at high tide, the water was full of children swimming.

Electricity comes 800 kms away from the Andes for an aluminium smelter in the bay but they are now turning to wind generation. We saw parts of wind turbines stacked up at the port waiting to be assembled. It's perfect place as it is extremely windy and dry. No rain
MapMapMap

The port was originally in the smaller bay as it was closer to Buenos Aires but was found to be too shallow. It was then moves to the larger bay. We went to North Point. A very long way away! The inland 'lakes' are actually dry sea beds.
falls and there are no trees so water is a precious commodity. It was really strange to look around the bay and literally see not one tree anywhere. Some of the new, modern waterfront houses are trying to grow lawns, something unheard of there.

It all looked very pleasant in the sunshine and warmth of a summer's day but I'm sure it would be very in hospitable in the middle of winter.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

RheaRhea
Rhea

A bit like an ostrich or emu
Scrawny merino sheep Scrawny merino sheep
Scrawny merino sheep

A guanaco in the middle
Sea elephantsSea elephants
Sea elephants

The two in the middle are holding tails
Restaurant in the villageRestaurant in the village
Restaurant in the village

Lots of tourists come here for whale watching
Whale 'beards'Whale 'beards'
Whale 'beards'

What Baleen whales use to filter krill
Beach sceneBeach scene
Beach scene

Tractors are used to launch and retrieve boats
The beach at half tideThe beach at half tide
The beach at half tide

The Zaandam in the distance


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb