Taking the bus to the MALBA


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
January 6th 2015
Published: January 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to take a bus to the MALBA museum. Taking a bus is a lot harder than taking the metro. There is no metro staion near the MALBA and Mark has been sick and was not up to a long walk in the heat so we decided to try the bus. To figure out which bus to take you need a booklet called GUIA T. Luckly there was a copy in our apartment. You find your starting address then you are directed to a page and a box with a letter and number like an excel spread sheet. In the box is a list of bus routes. You then find your destination address and the corresponding box with another list of bus routes. You compare the lists and the bus number in both boxes is your bus. Next you need to fiqure out where the bus stop is. I found a web site that gave you a list of stops for each bus route. There are 749 bus routes so this is all a challenge. The bus we needed was 67 and luckly one of the stops was Plaza Italia which is near our apartment. Now the problem was the internet said the bus takes coins only and we had no coins. We stopped at a store and each bought a granola bar and asked for change in coins. I got coins but they would not give Mark coins (coins are hard to come by because everyone wants them for the bus). The clerk said we had enough coins for the bus. We found the bus stop and got on. The bus driver said we needed 5 pesos and we had only 4. A person on the bus gave us a coin (so nice of her). Turns out the 67 only goes on a street 4 blocks away from the MALBA but the bus driver told us when to get off and pointed us in the right direction. While on the bus we saw people pay with a SUBU card. We have a SUBU card but had left it back at the apartment because we were not planning on taking the meto. We will try the SUBU card on our next bus ride. For some reason we will never understand when we put our coins into the machine on the bus we got lots of change bck. I think we made money on the bus ride.

We arrived at the MALBA and we were happy to discover the exhibits were described in Spanish and English. The main exhibit as the work of Antonio Berni from Argentina. He created a character called Juanito a boy who grows up in the slums outside of Buenos Aires and a character called Ramona who wants goods she sees on TV and ads and becomes a prostitute. He also created art called monsters and they are from Ramonas dreams. The pictures are from the exhibit. Berni used garbage he found in the slums to create the Juanito art and garbage from Paris to create the Ramona art. We enjoyed the exhibit for its art and social prospective.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb