Feeling lucky.....


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
November 11th 2005
Published: November 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

BotanicalGardens1BotanicalGardens1BotanicalGardens1

Botanical Gardens 1
I managed to get up at around half past twelve in the afternoon, and was a bit disappointed when Juan explained that breakfast is only available until noon. Luckily, he offered me some bread and cheese instead(well apart from tea and coffee, breakfast only consists of bread, cheese, jam, and butter anyway).
As usual it was a nice sunny day, and I went for a short walk in the Botanical Gardens of Palermo before my Spanish lesson. I didn´t see any half naked women as recommended by Monica, but then it turned out she was referring to a different park previously.
The lesson again went well, and Monica was again happy to tell me more about Buenos Aires and Argentina. She explained places like San Telmo and La Boca are for tourists and if I want to meet local people I should go out in Palermo. Also for shopping she recommended places near Juramento road and markets in non-touristy areas. Apparently for night life venturing down to waterfront near Rio De Plata is a good idea.
As implied by out conversations life is not always easy in Argentina. It´s difficult to get a good job. and people are expected to work
BotanicalGardens2BotanicalGardens2BotanicalGardens2

Botanical Gardens 2
very hard, and long hours. Since a large number of companies closed during the crisis, the unemployment rate is very high.
I was still puzzled about the taxis, but Monica managed to shed some light on the mystery. Car manufactures normally attach conditions when a car is purchased on credit. Many don´t want to associate their brands with taxis, so they frequently include this in the contract.
Back at the hostel I tried to help Diego( the guy who looks after the hostel ) with fixing one of the computers, and later when we talked about the football match between England and Argentina he offered to take me to watch Boca Juniors play in the near future.
In the evening a bunch of new guys turned up at the hostel, two Brazilians and one Argentine. Two of them just came from Eastern Europe, and were ready to party. Jonathan and I were going to join the after dinner, but when when we went to the pub they have already moved on. I suppose the highlight of the day was when the waiter in the restaurant said to us - ýou´re very very lucky, because you´re very lucky´....


BotanicalGardens3BotanicalGardens3BotanicalGardens3

Botanical Gardens 3




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

BotanicalGardens4BotanicalGardens4
BotanicalGardens4

Botanical Gardens 4


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0898s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb